Trees you killed this year

Rivian

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
These plants I had at some point in mind to make into bonsai, now theyre dead. Post yours and add your best guess how you killed them

Pseudocydonia sinensis - Hard root pruning in summer
unknown azalea - Lack of water
Fagus sylvatica purpurea - Hard root prune in spring
Fagus sylvatica (big yamadori) - Dug up with few feeder roots
Aesculus hippocastanum - Dug up with no feeder roots
Acer palmatum + 2 rooted airlayers - Untreated fungal infection
Pinus sylvestris - Sudden unfavorability
Acer palmatum Arakawa - Hard root prune after leafing out
Acer palmatum Osakazuki - Untreated fungal infection
Acer palmatum orange dream - Untreated fungal infection
Acer buergerianum x2 - Hard root prune in summer
Wisteria (unknown) 300 seedlings - Lack of water, Excess of water, Shade, Sunburn, Defoliation, Sudden unfavorability

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
An homage to “Woody Dwarves” past?

*Pours an ounce of fish fertilizer on the ground.* (For your dead homies, if you are unfamiliar ;) )

Azalea Girard’s Pleasant - Poorly timed prune.

Acer Ginnala - Responded from hard prune.. then slowly faded away.. upon inspection, I had killed her at my last repot (too much organic, claylike soil around the “heart”).. root rot.

Taxus Hicksii - Root reduction AND prune at the same time. (Also poorly timed)

Probably 14-18 citrus seedlings.

My one.. lone JBP seedling. 🤣

I’ve ended several cuttings by prematurely removing them..

I’ve also had about 6 that DIDN’T survive collection. About 4 pines, my sambucus, and the amalanchier stump.

Also like 5 kiwi seedlings... turns out they do NOT enjoy inorganic soil.. one of them is still going... he HATES it though.

I went BACK a whole year in my consideration.. not just to January. ;)

I’ve been “doing this” about a year now.

(A lot of my seedlings got sunburnt and died this year.. i don’t wanna “count” )

Ooh I forgot.. two Picea Abies..”Spruce Lee” and “Footloose Spruce”.... tried to grow them inside. 😬

Last edited:

Mikecheck123

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Drainage got blocked for my most unusual tree--a 7-ft Catalina ironwood with gorgeous peeling red bark and very distinctive leaves. It never recovered despite my best efforts to fix it by slip potting into carefully sifted soil, keeping it in shade, and misting.

IMG_20200530_090247.jpg

jaco94

Chumono
Reaction score
A mugo pine, anyway I have the impression that the pines, as soon as they cross the entrance of my house, start to feel bad.
probable cause of death: late repotting and placement in the wrong place (too much sun).

A small juniper on which I had done too many close operations in recent years.

With time and setbacks, I have a bit of the impression that hardwoods are ultimately easier to conserve than conifers.

The conifers are "Spartans" who suffer in silence, and take the blows without showing it, when one realizes that the tree is badly, it is generally too late, because it is already dead.

Hardwoods are much more "expressive" I find, for example when they are thirsty they show it very clearly.

Well done for starting this rather unusual discussion thread, because we generally prefer to hide our mistakes or at least not expose them ...

Last edited:

Rivian

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Well done for starting this rather unusual discussion thread, because we generally prefer to hide our mistakes or at least not expose them ...
I have no shame in this regard. I do think I learn from my mistakes

hh5.jpg
Horse chestnut I should have groundlayered, and cut back later

Rid

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I lost 2 tridents and a korean hornbeam that were growing in the ground. I chopped them when buds were breaking. All grew new buds but they all shrivelled and died.

Mr GeaRbOx

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I lost a Corokia that was cut down and put into a pot spring 2019. It slowly lost its "leaves" over the fall and winter. I could never quite figure out how much water would have it thrive best. May try another, but I think it may need a different soil composition.

BobbyLane

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
I dont get much casualties anymore, but earlier in the season i misjudged where the base was on this field maple, school boy error because ive cut through many nursery rootballs.
it was in a large nursery tub. i cut here, when i should of went a bit lower so i cut off the actual root system that was feeding the tree

it put out a weak flush and didnt recover

Attachments

• 20200326_102918.jpg
    20200326_102918.jpg
    334.1 KB · Views: 34
  • 20200326_131544.jpg
    20200326_131544.jpg
    295.5 KB · Views: 34

meushi

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
On top of my head...

A young acer palmatum 'katsura'... I didn't protect it enough from the spring heatwave after severely cutting back its roots.
The main trunk line on an acer palmatum 'little princess'... 10 years of development gone. I tried saving it by doing a triple thread graft but that failed thanks to birds.
A sumo goat willow stump which dried out in the spring heatwave.

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
Two little crapes. They both made it through the winter. I repotted one when the buds were swelling. It grew some leaves, then they wilted and it died. The other one just never woke up. :(

BobbyLane

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
These plants I had at some point in mind to make into bonsai, now theyre dead. Post yours and add your best guess how you killed them

Pseudocydonia sinensis - Hard root pruning in summer
unknown azalea - Lack of water
Fagus sylvatica purpurea - Hard root prune in spring
Fagus sylvatica (big yamadori) - Dug up with few feeder roots
Aesculus hippocastanum - Dug up with no feeder roots
Acer palmatum + 2 rooted airlayers - Untreated fungal infection
Pinus sylvestris - Sudden unfavorability
Acer palmatum Arakawa - Hard root prune after leafing out
Acer palmatum Osakazuki - Untreated fungal infection
Acer palmatum orange dream - Untreated fungal infection
Acer buergerianum x2 - Hard root prune in summer
Wisteria (unknown) 300 seedlings - Lack of water, Excess of water, Shade, Sunburn, Defoliation, Sudden unfavorability

Fagus sylvatica (big yamadori) -

do you have any others? live ones

Top Bottom