Tri Maple advice

Blue Sky Bonsai

Seedling
Reaction score
20210331_111330.jpg
Looking for some opinions on this little guy I picked up this winter. It's got this big ugly knot on top and the branches are less than ideal. Its got a great and base tho! Thought I would get some opinions before I proceed. Chop most the top off or work with what is there?

Juanmi

Mame
Reaction score
Hello there!
I don't feel very confortable telling people what to do. Do you feel like you'll be happy working with a tree as it is? Do you feel confident cutting the top and starting over?

That being said, if it was mine, I would keep the first branch and cut the rest, growing it as a shakan. (Not saying that you should do that)

Last edited:

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Yes, the base is where your tree is. Everything above the first curve is fluff to me. The first branch MIGHT be too stiff to bend and do much with. I probably would start with a young sprout instead.

If you have the energy, patience, consider removing the clump bonsai through layering.

Chop only when you know the tree is healthy

1617430164845.png

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
Real nice nebari on that trident so worth spending some time to try to develop a good top to match.
Definitely get rid of the knotty top. I can't see the whole tree from here so it is difficult to tell how good one option is over another. The left branch worries me because it is so strongly further left. The thick branch - upper rear right - looks better placed from this angle but that may only be from this view.
You could try reducing the trunk gradually to see if any new shoots pop out on the trunk. If nothing useful grows I would try grafting a new leader and maybe even branches to work with.

I would not even bother to layer that ugly top. There are much better tridents around or you can grow one from seed in a couple of years. Layering will just waste good development time and give you very little in return.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
You wudn't lying about that sky!

Sorce

Top Bottom