Trick a tree's apical dominance

defra

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I have a little ulmus parvifolia i am training
I got one shoot growing to be my lowest branch.

Since it will be the lowest branch on the tree its suposed to be the thickest and its allowed to extend as much as possible to get it there.

In the process i wired this shoot upwards with the tought to trick the tree i wired the shoot up and it became the highest point of the tree so it will stay growing faster than the rest of the tree because of the apical dominance

My question is if some one knows if this realy will work or has also tried this before

20180809_200324.jpg

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Some types of trees let their apical dominance be dictated by the pressure needed to push water upwards.
But there's just 1 branch a little higher, competing with 4. So I think the effect will be limited.
It could work, but it's a long shoot. (Pun intended).
If you tilt the pot with the branch facing more upwards, it has a better chance of turning out like you intended.

Saddler

Chumono
Reaction score
I’ve tried this with limited success. I think I got more growth out of single branch by pruning back everything else on the tree hard. But I also lost a smaller branch doing that on a maple. My only advice is to take your time. Every action has a reaction I am slowly learning.

Why not put some bends into that lower branch while you have it wired and it’s thin?

0soyoung

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I am cramped for space and do this 'all the time'. By itself, I'm not sure that elevating the tip does all that much. What you (also?) need is to slow down the apex's growth ( = less apical foliage) so that the low branch can catch up (with all the foliage you can get on it). If you weren't elevating the tip, you would be making a flat cone shape. So,

-->
Also reduce the amount of apical foliage.

defra

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I’ve tried this with limited success. I think I got more growth out of single branch by pruning back everything else on the tree hard. But I also lost a smaller branch doing that on a maple. My only advice is to take your time. Every action has a reaction I am slowly learning.

Why not put some bends into that lower branch while you have it wired and it’s thin?

Thnx for sharing your experience :)

Because i have only wired to get the branch angle right not the overal movement that will be done by clip and grow and also that will create the taper

Top Bottom