Trident air-layer turning fall color

sfhellwig

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
So I tried my first air layer this year. I had a medium sized trident that made a perfect candidate. I read like crazy, pretty sure I did it properly. Been checking it and watering with a syringe. Just a few days ago I found what I'm pretty sure are root tips in the packet. I was quite excited but just read on here to leave the layer on till cooler weather, besides having proper root growth. So all is going well. The leaves had been a slight more pale than the rest of the tree but the moss had never dried out. Then today I notice that the layer has red color on the margins of the leaves. I was alarmed and figure this can't be good. I assume the heat has taken its toll. Do I move the tree to a full shade area? I didn't have time to check the moisture but the plastic/foil had been very efficient about retaining water so far. Is this the demise of the layer? I know it has to be separated before year's end but what are my options now?

Once leaves start to color, can they return to productive green leaves?
Do I need to separate and baby it like a cutting?
Separate and defoliate but no real reserves for the tree to work with?
Once the heat breaks will the layer re-leaf and is there still time for it to recover and be separated?

Sorry for so many questions. I have been thoroughly reading the subject and feel it was/is going well. I just came across the one think I have not seen addressed. I really want this layer to be successful. I have tried many different cuttings and some grafting with virtually no success. I thought I might have found something that agreed with me.

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Damaged leaves do not repair themselves. They simply drop off and are replaced.

The "fall color" is not. It is a sign of stress. That stress can be many things, from overwatering to underwatering to heat...I'd move it out of direct sun and monitor watering closely--without being too invasive.

sfhellwig

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Yes, when I said fall color I was simply referring to the fact that they were turning red. I figured if it was doing that it must be unhappy. We have been over the 100 mark for several days now. Trying to deal with so many other pieces I didn't even think about protecting this one.

So since I'm waiting for the heat to pass (at least next month) before I would separate it, I wait and hope it will put on a few new leaves? It hasn't really grown since I started the layer but if conditions become more favorable it should be able to do that right? I just feel this one was very close to being successful and want to insure it comes through. I will try to treat the entire tree gently and cross my fingers.

digger714

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7B
Mine started doing the same thing so i went ahead and seperated it. It dropped 75% of its leaves. The trunk and branches still have good color, and i see new buds starting to pop out all over the new tree. I hope it will be ok. Ill let ya know.

Last edited:

sfhellwig

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I knew it was far too early to separate mine so it went into largely shade. The red color of mine stayed restricted to the margins. No leaves dropped. The tree in general has darkened in color and looks good. The layer is lighter in color but hasn't declined. I'm not sure how long I will wait to separate but want it to generate as many roots as possible before leaf drop.

Top Bottom