Trident cuttings dead or alive?

Pepibom

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Hey folks, I recently planted some trident cuttings about a week and an half ago. I ve noticed that some of the leaves that I left on them have started shriveling up. Does this mean that that this cutting is gone for good? Or is it just waiting to rally?!
I know about slightly tugging on them to see if there are any routes below, but I am not sure that once the shriveling starts if there’s any hope for that particular cutting

Attachments

• IMG_3867.jpeg
    IMG_3867.jpeg
    263.4 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_3866.jpeg
    IMG_3866.jpeg
    306.6 KB · Views: 24

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
Please don't go tugging on cuttings to check for roots. When roots are just emerging they are incredibly brittle and your tug may just rip off all the new roots. Just maintain care until the stems are obviously shrivelled, black and dead or you see root tips out the bottom of the pot.

I grow lots of cuttings but find maple cuttings quite difficult. Sometimes they just turn black and die, sometimes they stay alive for ages but with no roots so eventually die. Some will even grow new shoots and new leaves and look great but using the energy in the stem - no new roots means they will eventually die.
Occasionally some will produce roots but tend to die soon after they are potted up.
Seed is way easier and faster.

Top Bottom