Trident getting naked..

miker

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Nice start on your trident. I have been enjoying watching my tree get naked as well. November 3rd, and still not quite there yet.

I am not an expert, but assuming the first photo is the front, you could let the trunk thicken more for 2-5 years in the grow box it is currently in. Then, chop just above that first branch on the right and train that branch as the new leader. Again assuming this first photo as the front, I would remove that branch low on the trunk that is coming straight at the viewer.

In my opinion, as deciduous material for bonsai goes, Acer buergerianum is the overall best in the world (of any species that is widely known in cultivation at least).

George Small

Sapling
Reaction score
Hello Miker, this guy I plan to let grow in the box for the next year or so. I haven't decided on the final front yet. At my club there were a couple opinions the choice of the front and styling ideas. Thanks

AlainK

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
In my opinion, the grow-bowx is too deep and too narrow. A wider, shallower one would help the tree to develop a much better nebari in a couple of years.
It's raining at the moment, but when it stops I'll go outside and post a picture of one that has been in a shallow grow-box for several years to show you what I mean...

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Hello Miker, this guy I plan to let grow in the box for the next year or so. I haven't decided on the final front yet. At my club there were a couple opinions the choice of the front and styling ideas. Thanks
I concur with AlainK. You will get downward root growth instead of spreading roots, which is what you want to happen. But a nice start!

George Small

Sapling
Reaction score
In my opinion, the grow-bowx is too deep and too narrow. A wider, shallower one would help the tree to develop a much better nebari in a couple of years.
It's raining at the moment, but when it stops I'll go outside and post a picture of one that has been in a shallow grow-box for several years to show you what I mean...

Yes AlainK, I agree and understand. The wooden box it's in isn't a deep as it appears. The bottom 2.5 -3 inches is actually solid wood.
G.

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I think the point is that its' not wide enough to get spread on the roots. The base will get more flair if you allow roots to grow to the sides instead of down. It appears that the sides of the box are pretty close to the trunk.

Top Bottom