Trident leaf issue

sdhm3

Seedling
Reaction score
I know my question is quite simmilar to the previous tread but as each case is different I thought I would start anew.
As you can see in the photos I have some kind of burn going on with this tree. I've read through as many posts as I could find pertaining to scorched or burnt leaves and I really haven't discovered a reasonable course of action.
First is it sun, water, or roots?
The onset of this has been taking place over the last few weeks. Leaf tips turn black then begin to brown. I've lost some whole branch tips but only a few. Last week I cut back some overly long branches near the apex, removed some large leaves and some of the burnt ones. I also semi-defoliated the the interior of the lower branches leaving the tips as I need a lot of thickening of the lower branches.
My routine this year has been early morning watering and weekly fertilizer applications of peters 20-20-20 at about 1/3 recomended dosage and some organic fertilizer once every six weeks. I have not repotted this tree for two years but the drainage seems to be fine. As far as sunlight goes it's been very rainy here in New York so when it's not cloudy my trees get sun from early morning till mid afternoon.
I know slip potting this time of year is probably not my best option but if it's the roots I'd really like to know. What to do? Keep it in the shade for a week or so and hope it stops, spray it with something, or both.

Attachments

• Full.jpg
    Full.jpg
    97.8 KB · Views: 84
  • Tipd.jpg
    Tipd.jpg
    79.9 KB · Views: 81

Mojosan

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
First is it sun, water, or roots?
My routine this year has been early morning watering and weekly fertilizer applications of peters 20-20-20 at about 1/3 recomended dosage and some organic fertilizer once every six weeks. I have not repotted this tree for two years but the drainage seems to be fine. As far as sunlight goes it's been very rainy here in New York so when it's not cloudy my trees get sun from early morning till mid afternoon.
I know slip potting this time of year is probably not my best option but if it's the roots I'd really like to know. What to do? Keep it in the shade for a week or so and hope it stops, spray it with something, or both.

If you have been watering daily, and it has also been raining........... that's a lot of water.
The fact that you're fert. every week seems excessive also.
But I'm guessing it's been very warm and also windy?

I would stop fert. for now, and slow down on water - and protect from wind.

my .02

Bill S

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Could be over watered, especially if you have been getting rain like we have here, I suspect you have.

Af far as ferts doing this, I doubt it, at 1/3 dosing every week with bonsai soil and lots of water - naw.

Doesn't look like leaf scorch to me, more like something maybe eating them as well.

jk_lewis

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8
Water on the leaves and warm temperatures often lead to bacterial or fungal diseases of the leaf. Both the show up as black.

If it were root rot, the leaves would probably wilt first, then turn color or fall off.

Have you used a soap spray on this trident? Soap on tridents results in (often severe) damage to the tree (though I've never witnessed blackened leaves).

sdhm3

Seedling
Reaction score
I've inspected the tree looking for insects but have found none and the leaves although blackened or brown tipped are completely intact. As far as watering goes, yes every morning, either myself or mother nature, never both. Some days have ben very hot and some windy.
I agree that keeping it more protected for now would be wise. I would like to be certain that it's not some kind of fungas or a root issue. All or my other trees have been treated the same and all is well with them.
About a month ago I removed the large apex that I had growing for a few years, could this have caused some stress for the tree? I thought that the removal would have strengthed the rest of the tree.
Thanks for the input.

sdhm3

Seedling
Reaction score
No soap JKL. Just hard water and fert. I'm glad to hear that you think it may not be a root issue as this was my greatest worry.

Top Bottom