Trident Maple 2

dlayton

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Here is the 2nd tree that my mom surprised me with...

It is not near as good as the first tree. https://www.bonsainut.com/threads/trident-maple-1.49877/

It had these 2 HUGE knots where multiple branches had been let grown so I went ahead and removed them.

This tree is not something I would have necessarily chose myself, but they came as a package deal, so.... what do you do???!

Only one question here... complete trunk chop and start over? Let's here your potential design ideas... What can I turn this into?

tempImageD6P2GK.jpgtempImageunJif4.jpg

NaoTK

Chumono
Reaction score
Why did you remove the first branch? I think removing it limits your future design options

dlayton

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Why did you remove the first branch? I think removing it limits your future design options
I knew I should have taken a pic. But it wasn't really a branch it was this huge knot looking mess that was almost as big as the trunk at the base. Wanted to keep it and I cut around it, but it just didn't look right...

Can't I just do some thread grafts?

NaoTK

Chumono
Reaction score
But it looked like leaves were coming out of there. Anyways, yes you can graft, but you definitely need something to break up that space if you are not going to just chop it at this point. After all the chopping you did you will get all sorts of buds everywhere.

Deep Sea Diver

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
What I always come back to is "Start with the roots". Notwithstanding your interesting chops on the top, lets start by getting the bottom right first!

Here's what I"d do.

1. Air layer at the widest trunk area above your roots. If you can air layer and can save the right hand root section with airborne roots, you might have a really interesting start to another bonsai. Let the rest of the tree grow all the way out it will for now. Also.... you might cut paste all those cuts just for fun of it for now. I like to cover all bases just in case.

2. Once you have the air layer done, put it on a board (Search for Ebihara if you don't know how to do this, but leave the roots alone until next spring... then work them) in an Anderson flat or such for the winter. During that time get more input on possible design options. What I see right now is possible trunk chop right above those lowest branches. That will give you a humongous trunk to start with.

3. Grow out the bottom the rest of the year and separate the remaining trunks early next spring. Then favor the right hand section when separating if you need to chose as you may be able to make an incredible bonsai out of it.

cheers
DSD sends

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
this huge knot looking mess

Once we get placed into team "hate reverse taper", we often see things as such that aren't.

Feels like that may have happened here.

Sorce

dlayton

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Here is the knot section that I removed. I worked my down to it but just couldn’t make it work ? Do y’all still think I should have left it?

dlayton

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
What I always come back to is "Start with the roots". Notwithstanding your interesting chops on the top, lets start by getting the bottom right first!

Here's what I"d do.

1. Air layer at the widest trunk area above your roots. If you can air layer and can save the right hand root section with airborne roots, you might have a really interesting start to another bonsai. Let the rest of the tree grow all the way out it will for now. Also.... you might cut paste all those cuts just for fun of it for now. I like to cover all bases just in case.

2. Once you have the air layer done, put it on a board (Search for Ebihara if you don't know how to do this, but leave the roots alone until next spring... then work them) in an Anderson flat or such for the winter. During that time get more input on possible design options. What I see right now is possible trunk chop right above those lowest branches. That will give you a humongous trunk to start with.

3. Grow out the bottom the rest of the year and separate the remaining trunks early next spring. Then favor the right hand section when separating if you need to chose as you may be able to make an incredible bonsai out of it.

cheers
DSD sends
DSD,

Thanks so much. I’m trying my hardest to learn this art! Air layering may be above my level right now!

Deep Sea Diver

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I wouldn’t think so. Air layering is actually pretty easy if you go by the numbers.

If you are concerned about the process, after you review the data here, just select a maple you don’t have a lot of concern about. Chose an upward facing branch and go for it.

Here’s a couple recently done and one in progress.

I encourage you to give it a whirl, after all bonsai is a process of constant learning!

cheers
DSD sends
image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

Pj86

Yamadori
Reaction score
Here is the knot section that I removed. I worked my down to it but just couldn’t make it work ? Do y’all still think I should have left it?

What do you envision your material will look like in the future? Your material is in the early stages in development and can be shaped to a multitude of possibilities.

dlayton

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
What do you envision your material will look like in the future? Your material is in the early stages in development and can be shaped to a multitude of possibilities.
I honestly have no idea on this one.... I’m at a loss. Wouldn’t have purchased it by itself, but the two came as a package deal!

dlayton

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I wouldn’t think so. Air layering is actually pretty easy if you go by the numbers.

If you are concerned about the process, after you review the data here, just select a maple you don’t have a lot of concern about. Chose an upward facing branch and go for it.

Here’s a couple recently done and one in progress.

I encourage you to give it a whirl, after all bonsai is a process of constant learning!

cheers
DSD sends
View attachment 374655View attachment 374657View attachment 374659
ok! You have convinced me on this! I shall try it!

thanks for all your help!

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
What I always come back to is "Start with the roots"
This I agree with.

The alternative route I would consider is to make this a special tree by raising the tree further and going neagari on this. The roots as the are are already interesting-messy. This would lend itself well to develop exposed roots. WIth a short gnarly trunk and wide, droopy canopy.

dlayton

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
This I agree with.

The alternative route I would consider is to make this a special tree by raising the tree further and going neagari on this. The roots as the are are already interesting-messy. This would lend itself well to develop exposed roots. WIth a short gnarly trunk and wide, droopy canopy.
Not a bad idea. Do you just slowly expose more roots over time?

Top Bottom