Trident Maple - all new growth black and shriveled

CliffH

Seed
Reaction score
So first off, this tree is planted in the ground. But I bought it as a bonsai starter and it's a popular bonsai so I figured you all would have relevant expertise. Anyway, I planted this Summer '19 around late July in a mix of the soil I dug out (high clay content) and garden soil, with worm castings liberally mixed in. Light mulch. The tree is on flat ground in full afternoon sun but the ground starts sloping away a bit a short distance on either side. The tree grew explosively, almost doubling in height that season (from about 20" to over 3'). Over the winter, I didn't water it and when Spring came a ton of leaves grew in but not at the tips of the branches. It was clear I had dieback, I guess from desiccating winter wind. I had to cut back a lot, probably over 8" from the top.

Before pruning, the new leaves came in normally and there was substantial new growth. But now, all new growth blackens, shrivels and dies almost immediately. The existing leaves seem like they are doing ok for the most part, but there is no new growth anywhere on the tree now (or anyway, it dies immediately). Pics attached.

20200506_164012[1].jpg20200506_164027[1].jpg20200506_164046[1].jpg20200506_164059[1].jpg20200506_164107[1].jpg20200506_164149[1].jpg
I've done a bit of Googling and I'm stumped. I don't know if some fungus got in from the pruning cuts or something. I don't want to start treating it for fungus without having a diagnosis. Should I call a tree guy to come out and look at it? Does anyone know what this is? I'm really bummed that this young tree that was doing so great is now struggling. Thanks for any help you can give.

AJL

Chumono
Reaction score
Sorry but your tree is showing classic herbicide(weedkiller) damage symptoms!
Whoever sprayed the grass around your tree base has poisoned your tree!
Do you know what chemical was used?

Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
If herbicide is not the cause then you can search for threads related to fungus.

CliffH

Seed
Reaction score
Oh no... the chemical used is glyphosate. I searched through some fungus threads but didn't see any pictures that looked similar...

Rid

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
The ring of dead grass around the mulch rings looks like the effects of roundup

Crawforde

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Roundup is glyphosate, it shouldn’t have any activity in the soil, but if some was Accidentally sprayed on some leaves or was absorbed through a young green trunk you could be in a little trouble.
If you did the spraying check the chemical label.
Some glyphosate formulations contain imazapyr, If one of those was used, there is soil activity and it is persistent. The tree will probably die, and I wouldn’t plant anything else in that spot for at least a year or two, or that will die too.

CliffH

Seed
Reaction score
Thanks. There doesn't appear to be any imazapyr in the formulation, fortunately. I thought I was careful with it but it's very possible that some droplets drifted onto the trunk and/or lower leaves (though I would assume the leaves would have been more damaged if it had landed on them). There were probably three leaves lower down on the tree near each other than dried up and I removed, perhaps that is related. I read around a little and it seems like there is nothing I can do but care for the tree normally and see if it clears up.

GailC

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4-5
I've had a few trees get hit with round up and they looked nearly the same as yours. Spindly leaf stems, small discolored leaves and the tip die back.

Good news is all mine survived, even my big columbine plant. They all looked like hell, especially the big red maple that had crinkled and brown leaves.

Take care of the tree like normal and cross your fingers it comes out of it.
Next time, if you must spray around a tree, do it before leaves emerge if possible and wrap the whole tree in newspaper to protect from overspray.

CliffH

Seed
Reaction score
Thanks! That gives me hope.

AJL

Chumono
Reaction score
Judging by the widespread damage all over the tree it looks like a substantial dose of the chemical was absorbed through the bark and possibly surface roots.
Glyphosate- Roundup is a translocated herbicide so it would have been transported around the tree in the sap stream.
My suggestion would be to scrape off the surface soil and weed-killed dead grass from the area surrounding the tree base then to flood the tree pit to flush out any remaining chemical residue.
It might help the trees survival chances to then mulch the tree pit with bark chips 2-3 inches deep and install a plastic strimmer guard to protect the tree base.
Good luck!

Top Bottom