Trident Maple -- Black spots on new growth

theta

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I noticed these black spots on new growth today. Does anyone know what could be the cause?

4-25-20_blackspots1.jpg

IMG_20200425_183751.jpg

There's also these other parts of leaves that have curled around and turned brown?

IMG_20200425_183831.jpg

IMG_20200425_183837.jpg

Any advice would be appreciated. I did repot this year.

james

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I have similar pattern on new growth on trident and Japanese maple. I have a constant struggle with fungus, and speculate a small amount of fungus overwintered on buds, which can discolor and curl new leaves as they emerge in spring. For this year fungal treatment, and a dormant spray in winter.

augustine

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
Is it ok to use a fungicide on maple/other deciduous tree with leaves that have not hardened off yet? If so what fungicides can be used?

thanks guys

james

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Here is a trident of mine, which has a similar issue as yours. Otherwise healthy mature tree. Every spring, I see some clusters of leaves with curled edges, some black, etc. I think fungus on leaf tips where water may remain on leaf. I cut them out, watch. Will spray with fungicide if more appears.

E4C5EE04-8C18-45EF-8BF0-50779FD6E9B6.jpeg5BE488DB-F3F4-4CDE-A262-69C79744C688.jpeg4099CBE9-65A6-4DA3-9410-2B9A2F581323.jpegBEF07DDF-CEA8-4A47-950C-F26B5BC27FF3.jpeg

deadcs

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Here is a trident of mine, which has a similar issue as yours. Otherwise healthy mature tree. Every spring, I see some clusters of leaves with curled edges, some black, etc. I think fungus on leaf tips where water may remain on leaf. I cut them out, watch. Will spray with fungicide if more appears.

View attachment 298673View attachment 298671View attachment 298672View attachment 298674
Can you tell us which fungicide do you use?
Thank you!

John P.

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
Daconil, Bonide copper, and perhaps another. Important to rotate them. Search here on the forum for daconil and copper and you’ll get good info.

I used to get that on my tridents ... no more after dormant spraying and spraying every few weeks.

james

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Agree with John. Spray Daconil or copper when bad and playing catch up. Don’t care for the look after spraying, looks like your trees got hit with a milk storm. This year I will try a systemic this spring before I see fungus on maples, and I may not have to spray.

WNC Bonsai

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I sprayed last week with Bonide Infuse systemic and got some damage on one J.maple. Fortunately the dozen or so leaves damaged were on branch extensions that had grown out aggressively and needed pruning back anyway so off they came. The literature says that propiconazole is safe for maples but maybe not this variety. None of my others were damaged nor were any of my tridents.

WNC Bonsai

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Did this resolve the infection?
Not sure yet, I am pulling out all the stops this year. I repotted it in a better draining substrate without akadama and treated it with lime sulfur last month. Now it has leafed out and looks great. Next I plan to hit it again with Infuse proactively and also some Daconil and copper in alternate months.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I have to say I am spraying every Trident with everything I have about once a week right now, with the hope that it stops these black spots.

Top Bottom