Trident maple blown over

AaronVh

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Helloooo,

I just came home and I noticed that my trident maple decided to go for a more horizontal look. It was a bit stormy, so it was blow over. The whole top soil was on the ground. I noticed some roots exposed. I'm not worried about some exposed roots but I don't know what to do with the top soil. 2 weeks ago I put on some sphagnum moss and living moss, grinded together. Also, I had 8 little piles of decomposing Biogold (2-3 months worth) .Everything has now been mixed together and put back in the growing box, to protect the roots. Is this OK or can I remove the topsoil and start over with some new Biogold and new moss?IMG_20200703_213739.jpg

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I would leave it as you have it. It looks like the tree was well tied in, so if all you did was mix up the top layer, it should be no problem at all.

Actually, the only thing that would be at issue is you won't be able to remove the fertilizer anymore, but as you look to be in development mode, I'm sure that's ok too.

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Agreed, just stand it up and sweep all the soil right back in. Might want to secure it a little better going forward. Trees in full leaf dry out the soil quick, and become a sail in a breeze.

AaronVh

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Agreed, just stand it up and sweep all the soil right back in. Might want to secure it a little better going forward. Trees in full leaf dry out the soil quick, and become a sail in a breeze.
Thanks, will do

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Cool tree.
Now put it straight on the ground and not on a side table and it will not blow over.

Top Bottom