Trident Maple broken approach graft damaged.

Jetpack

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Hey everyone!

So I bought this Trident maple from Brent at Evergreen Gardenworks back in September. This was the first tree I ever purchased. At my first club meeting the following month one of the more experienced growers leading the BYOT advice class suggested I bend a branch and use it as an approach graft to thicken the trunk since I wanted to turn this tree into a shohin.

Long story short, During my apartment move in April the end/tip that was meant to be the new branch broke off. Since then the branch has started to die. At least I assume so, as it is starting to turn brown/black. I have since covered it with cut paste to protect it. The rest of the tree is perfectly healthy and it continues to grow like crazy.

I'm just wondering what I can do to repair/fix the damage and still have a nice tree. I am guessing air layering the tree up higher is probably the only option. If that is the case, I have picked three spots I thought might be good choices, but I am fairly new and inexperienced. Any advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks for everyone's time!

Please ignore my terrible wiring job. I didn't do enough research before I did it. :confused:
WIN_20170613_10_59_59_Pro.jpg WIN_20170613_11_00_10_Pro.jpg WIN_20170613_11_00_17_Pro.jpg WIN_20170613_11_00_22_Pro.jpg WIN_20170613_11_00_34_Pro.jpg WIN_20170613_11_00_34_Pro_LI.jpg WIN_20170613_11_00_42_Pro.jpg

j evans

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
I don't know for sure but I think that I would let it go for a bit to see if the graft buds at the break. I'm sure someone will chime in. What's up with the big toe?

Jetpack

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I don't know for sure but I think that I would let it go for a bit to see if the graft buds at the break. I'm sure someone will chime in. What's up with the big toe?

Good point. I didn't even think of that. The big toe belongs to me. I thought it would add a little flair to the picture. :p I was sitting on the ground for a better angle.

chansen

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
The section of branch that is red/black is dead, not dying. Try scratching the bark off, you'll notice there's no green under it until you get to the greenish/tan colored section of the branch. The tip likely died since there were not buds/leaves growing there. I'd cut the branch off, and let the wound heal.

Tridents grow really fast as it is. Get it in the ground and it will push hard. In a few years you'll be ready to chop for the next trunk section. If you really want to plan ahead, keep some long whips on the tree for future grafting.

If you really want to do it right, start with the roots next winter and get them sorted out. See the 'Ebihara maples' thread (https://bonsainut.com/threads/ebihara-maples.18215/). The techniques there apply.

Last edited:

Jetpack

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
The section of branch that is red/black is dead, not dying. Try scratching the bark off, you'll notice there's no green under it until you get to the greenish/tan colored section of the branch. The tip likely died since there were not buds/leaves growing there. I'd cut the branch off, and let the wound heal.

Tridents grow really fast as it is. Get it in the ground and it will push hard. In a few years you'll be ready to chop for the next trunk section. If you really want to plan ahead, keep some long whips on the tree for future grafting.

If you really want to do it right, start with the roots next winter and get them sorted out. See the 'Ebihara maples' thread (https://bonsainut.com/threads/ebihara-maples.18215/). The techniques there apply.

I was leaning toward that section of the branch being completely dead. I had scratched the bark previously and it was pretty dark. I will put it in the ground the next chance I get and read up on the Ebihara technique. Thank you for the reply.

Top Bottom