Trident Maple from Schley's Bonsai

small trees

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8B
Personally when cutting a trunk I would have to consider a couple of things...
First of all for me bonsai is all about getting the the tightest most compact tree as possible.
Which gives the tree an even bigger, and stronger appearance.
So, with this in mind... the first thing that should always be the deciding factor with larger material

I think that you have made several good points and have laid out a pretty strong plan going forward. Regarding the roots, I didn't bare root it when i potted it but I did take a peek and the rootball could be sawed off flat with no real harm to the tree. As far as removing all of the top growth including the leader, won't you be limiting yourself as to the choice of location for your leader in the future?

Your post has a lot of information in it so I might edit this reply as I read through it again.

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I agree with Stacey...(mostly) same thought process I went through before I made my comment/recommendation without spelling it all out. I do not subscribe to slowly reducing branches though...I do it all right away and focus growth where I want it.

Again, most mistake is not envisioning the final product done right. Some shoot for the final silhouette right away, failing to consider that ramification will add a good bit later.

In the end it is your tree and do what pleases you.

Good luck!

small trees

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8B
I agree with Stacey...(mostly) same thought process I went through before I made my comment/recommendation without spelling it all out. I do not subscribe to slowly reducing branches though...I do it all right away and focus growth where I want it.

Again, most mistake is not envisioning the final product done right. Some shoot for the final silhouette right away, failing to consider that ramification will add a good bit later.

In the end it is your tree and do what pleases you.

Good luck!

When I was talking about chopping the tree in the OP, the same general thought process went through my head, just not as clearly. I think sawgrass (Stacey?) covered both sides pretty well. I'm somewhat hesitant to remove all of the top growth, but it would (should) speed up the growth of the lower branches. I am open to any discussion or ideas.

For informational purposes, I took the dimensions of the tree and it stands 18.5" from the soil at the top of the cut, 11" nebari and 4.5" trunk at 8" above soil.

edit: I believe for now I will go ahead and select a leader complementary to the new front and prune as necessary.

Last edited:
Top Bottom