Trident Maple grafting

Dirty Nails

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I have just a couple grafting questions. I have an older chop scar about 1.5" across near the apex I am trying to fix.

1. Can you do a thread graft through the middle of a scar?

2. When you do an approach graft or a thread graft can you use a branch that has hardened off? It is a runner from early this season which grew longer in the initial flush but has hardened off now. It is still flexible and will have to be cut in any case because the node is too long.

3. If not, can I scrape down the outer layer off of the hardened runner to expose the cambium and then use it?

Thanks!

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
1. Entry yes, exit no. You need the threaded branch's cadmium to eventually fuse with the main tree's. A chop doesn't have cadmium unless you wait for it to roll in and fill the chop area.

2. You can use new or older as long as you can bend them in place.

Good luck!

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
If you're considering the graft in an attempt to get the scar to heal, running it through the middle won't help. Placing the approach graft at the top of the scar, where the callus is beginning to roll over the wound, is the way to go. You need live cambium to cambuim contact for the graft to take. Good luck,

Dave

Dirty Nails

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Should have done pics at first. This scar is at least 4 years old as that is when I bought it and last winter I pulled off the paste. I am not sure what "rolled up" means. Does it mean the bark has covered the scar? Has this rolled up?

I don't want to thread graft here to heal it, it is just where I want a branch. The highest runner on the tree is the one I want to graft in place.

006.jpg007.jpg008.jpg

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Looks like it did heal and rolled already. You can thread graft there now.

Good luck!

frozenlarch

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4b
Using the tip of a knife, give it a very small scrape near or at the area you want to graft. If there is green tissue, you should have no problems.

I agree with Poink though, it does appear healed and ready for a branch.

Top Bottom