Trident Maple hasn't dropped its leaves yet

kampai888

Seed
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Hello all. I'm a newbie and this is my first post.

My trident maple has not dropped its leaves, even though we've had below freezing temps. Is this something to be concerned about?

And I was wondering if I should put it in my attic, which has temps in the high 50s/low 60s, instead of leaving it outside to freeze. I'm afraid if I do this, the poor thing will just get confused. What are your thoughts? Thanks in advance for your help!

Matte91

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Some of my maples hasnt dropped its leaves either. Its normal. The leaves will probably drop soon.

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Your location will go a long way towards more detailed advice, but--

I'm in N. Va. A few of my Tridents haven't dropped their leaves either and some didn't change color. That's the way it's been for a long time. Every year for the last 25, since I've had them, I've seen them hang onto leaves for a while here even though repeated frosts and freezes--although hard freezes usually just burn them off. I just put them under mulch outside and they take care of themselves. Haven't had an issue with it. I've got in-ground Japanese maples that have green leaves on them too. I Certainly don't bring the tridents in. That really won't help much.

FaNt0m

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
I live in AZ zone 9b and my tridents haven’t lost leaves either

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
A couple of my chojubai had a flower on them when I put them in the coldframe this weekend
.......😵‍💫

kampai888

Seed
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Thanks for all the replies. I live in eastern PA, if that helps at all. When you say you put them under mulch, what does that mean exactly? My apologies, but I'm having trouble picturing that for whatever reason.

mj_barb

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
A common overwintering technique is to bury the pots of trees in mulch for the winter. It keeps the roots at a more constant temperature, similar to being in the ground.

I have a few tridents ranging from deep green to no leaves right now. All is good with yours, I would leave it be.

yashu

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4/5
Thanks for all the replies. I live in eastern PA, if that helps at all. When you say you put them under mulch, what does that mean exactly? My apologies, but I'm having trouble picturing that for whatever reason.
Location is everything (enter your location or at least your usda zone in your profile) and care for your trees is highly dependent on your microclimate. Depending on location and geography someone 20 miles from you may need a totally different care (over-wintering in this case) than you.

It’s not terribly out of the ordinary for a maple to not drop leaves. I’m not quite sure why the petiole doesn’t let go sometimes. My arakawa maple held on to them and they went crispy from freezing so I ended up plucking them off.

yashu

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4/5
…also, there’s this thread that’s pretty active right now and there’s a bunch of info if you’re new to overwintering bonsai

dbonsaiw

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
My crepe myrtle and smallest hornbeam are out of leaf. Other hornbeams, one redwood and my red maple lost a bunch of leaves. Other trees just started dropping leaves. Chinese elms haven't yet realized that winter is coming.

Top Bottom