Trident Maple Help

Tonsai

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Hi everyone, I’m pretty new to Bonsai and I signed up for a class novice with my local club. Got my second tree, first one died after taking a beginner course. Since I got it a few weeks ago the leaves have started to brown. Am I overwatering it? Changed the soil and potted it for the class.

Attachments

• IMG_3661.jpeg
    IMG_3661.jpeg
    261.4 KB · Views: 100
  • IMG_3662.jpeg
    IMG_3662.jpeg
    228.2 KB · Views: 84
  • IMG_3663.jpeg
    IMG_3663.jpeg
    217.1 KB · Views: 89
  • IMG_3664.jpeg
    IMG_3664.jpeg
    296.9 KB · Views: 106

Orion_metalhead

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Questions:

1. When was the repot done (when was the class)?
2. How much of the root ball was removed?
3. Was the tree in leaf at the time of the repot?
4. What has aftercare been like? Where is it positioned? How much sun?
5. How often are you watering and how well draining is the soil? What makes you think its being over watered?

Tridents are very tough, so I have no doubt this will get through with correct care now.

Tonsai

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Class was 3 weeks ago. No roots were removed we just cleaned off the old soil with water and chop sticks. The tree was in leaf when we repotted. It’s getting about 12 hours of sun. I was watering once-twice a day depending on heat. This last week the leaves have started turning so I’ve been checking the stick in the pot more and spreading out watering to every two days depending one the moisture on the stick. Only reason I think it might be over watering is because of other threads where the leaves were changing, again new to bonsai and this is my first Trident Maple.

Tieball

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I’m not sure of your objective….however….If my tree I would bury those roots shown in the last photo. Could be some Sun drying (not sure where you live though). Some leaves likely dried and deteriorated due to potting at a time when the leaves were full out.

I’d also suggest a moisture stick placed out further the pot which is probably where the smallest feeder roots are located. It will tell you the moisture further away from the rootball.

Another question. When you replanted the tree did you poke around the substrate with a chopstick (or similar tool) to make sure the soil area is settled in well throughout the root zone?

You can clip off dried leaves whenever you want. Those dry leaves are not going to re-green themselves. If dried, their done. Leave a small stem so you don’t injure the bud nearest the branch.

Tonsai

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I’m not sure of your objective….however….If my tree I would bury those roots shown in the last photo. Could be some Sun drying (not sure where you live though). Some leaves likely dried and deteriorated due to potting at a time when the leaves were full out.

I’d also suggest a moisture stick placed out further the pot which is probably where the smallest feeder roots are located. It will tell you the moisture further away from the rootball.

Another question. When you replanted the tree did you poke around the substrate with a chopstick (or similar tool) to make sure the soil area is settled in well throughout the root zone?

You can clip off dried leaves whenever you want. Those dry leaves are not going to re-green themselves. If dried, they’re done. Leave a small stem so you don’t injure the bud nearest the branch.
Thank you that’s really helpful information I’ll move the stick and trim the dried leaves. Yeah we used a chopstick to push the substrate into the rootball.

River's Edge

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I would suggest you add some soil and cover the roots a bit more. they will develop better with some cover. Another suggestion would be to shred some sphagnum moss and cover the soil to prevent the soil from drying out to quickly! After repotting it is sensible to ensure that the roots do not dry out. Each type of work performed can increase the stress on the tree and recovery is the next step. I note the tree has also been wired. If that was done recently it would also add to the stress. The way the leaves have turned is not likely due to overwatering,

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
In my opinion burned leaf edges in spring and summer almost always means dehydration. It doesn't take much to burn maple leaves though tridents are a little more robust than JM. Even a few hours dry will cause burn like that and it is not always easy getting watering spot on as a beginner. Transplant after the leaves are open can also cause enough stress on a tree to cause a few burnt leaves, even with minimal root reduction. I have occasionally had every leaf on tridents turn brown after late repots with significant root reduction. Good news is these are resilient trees and they soon grow new leaves and keep on growing.
I can't judge @Tonsai weather or climate as no location given yet but a hot day, especially with wind can cause burnt leaves. Most areas require a little extra protection through summer to prevent burnt leaves on maples.

Over watering takes many weeks to affect the roots and it usually needs to be significant overwatering or a combination of poor draining soil and too much water or pots sitting in saucers that hold water for long periods for root rot to affect tridents.

A few burnt leaves will not affect overall tree health (thank goodness because most of mine have a few or sometimes more affected leaves through summer). The tree seems to have plenty of healthy leaves so affected leaves can be removed to improve appearances.

Tonsai

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Just an update. Trimmed back scorched leaves and moved to more shade. New growth already coming in. Thanks for the advice.

Attachments

• IMG_3760.jpeg
    IMG_3760.jpeg
    326.6 KB · Views: 47
  • IMG_3761.jpeg
    IMG_3761.jpeg
    258.6 KB · Views: 43

Tieball

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I would still cover those roots on the surface. Covering roots might just be something I do though.

Tieball

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
When a tree is this young I either bury all the roots or prune them off so roots below the surface take over the growing.

Tonsai

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
When a tree is this young I either bury all the roots or prune them off so roots below the surface take over the growing.
Thanks I’ll prune them back

Tieball

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Thanks I’ll prune them back
Bury them. It’s better for your tree. There appears to be root growth on those exposed roots below the surface. So I don’t know what other roots are below. I don’t understand why the roots are exposed….other than the tree was just planted to high in the pot. Best to bury them and then when you repot it’s a better time to actually see what roots you have and then prune away if the roots are not needed.

Top Bottom