Trident Maple in Pot

bonsaimichaelb

Seedling
Reaction score
Hello I'm a newbie with no green thumb.
On a recommendation I purchased a Trident Maple for a small backyard. Placed it in a wine barrel, drilled 10 holes in the bottom and lined the barrel with plastic so the PH isn't thrown off (saw this on YouTube)
Did I stress out the tree? It was a little windy the past two days. The backyard gets a lot of sun. I'm in Northern California. The leaves look wilted and a bit crispy. I've watered it three days in a row since planting to make sure the soil was wet.
Did I miss anything else you need to know?

Attachments

• 20200409_170631.jpg
    20200409_170631.jpg
    208.1 KB · Views: 54
  • 20200413_191406.jpg
    20200413_191406.jpg
    69.8 KB · Views: 54
  • 20200411_162512.jpg
    20200411_162512.jpg
    390.8 KB · Views: 54
  • 20200411_154031.jpg
    20200411_154031.jpg
    321.9 KB · Views: 54

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
The trees in the pots look fine. I can't see evidence of wilted leaves on those. If just a couple of branches have sad leaves maybe those branches were damaged a bit in transport or handling. The tree was a bit too far in leaf for real repotting but I doubt you would have cut too many roots so it should be fine. I have even repotted trident maples with full leaves on. Sometimes all the remaining leaves will turn brown and drop but soon new ones grow.
It is also possible that the tree was grown in a shaded or protected location and the leaves are not sun hardy. Now that it is suddenly in full sun the original leaves cannot cope and will get sunburn but new leaves will grow that will be adapted to the new sun levels.
As long as the water can drain out of your barrel the tree should be fine. Trident maples are very hardy. Just water when the soil starts to get dry. Over watering can also kill trees.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Welcome to Crazy!

I personally wonder what state this plastic lining barrel YouTuber was in.

IMO it can be a good idea but it can also help boil your roots.

Not that that is your problem, but I wouldn't allow direct sun to the pot too long.

Sorce

MrWunderful

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
Where in norcal? We might be able to help based on microclimate. Are you coastal, like me? Or in the valley where it gets to be 108° in the summer?

It also looks like the tree was to late into leaf to repot to myself.

bonsaimichaelb

Seedling
Reaction score
The trees in the pots look fine. I can't see evidence of wilted leaves on those. If just a couple of branches have sad leaves maybe those branches were damaged a bit in transport or handling. The tree was a bit too far in leaf for real repotting but I doubt you would have cut too many roots so it should be fine. I have even repotted trident maples with full leaves on. Sometimes all the remaining leaves will turn brown and drop but soon new ones grow.
It is also possible that the tree was grown in a shaded or protected location and the leaves are not sun hardy. Now that it is suddenly in full sun the original leaves cannot cope and will get sunburn but new leaves will grow that will be adapted to the new sun levels.
As long as the water can drain out of your barrel the tree should be fine. Trident maples are very hardy. Just water when the soil starts to get dry. Over watering can also kill trees.
That was all very helpful. I appreciate you taking the time to comment.

bonsaimichaelb

Seedling
Reaction score
Welcome to Crazy!

I personally wonder what state this plastic lining barrel YouTuber was in.

IMO it can be a good idea but it can also help boil your roots.

Not that that is your problem, but I wouldn't allow direct sun to the pot too long.

Sorce
HA! I saw it on two videos, so I thought I was doing the right thing. :)
Thank you for the sunlight suggestion. I'll keep an eye on it. The good news is the barrel placement gives the root ball shade half the day due to the fence line, but the top of the tree will have sun most of the day.

bonsaimichaelb

Seedling
Reaction score
Where in norcal? We might be able to help based on microclimate. Are you coastal, like me? Or in the valley where it gets to be 108° in the summer?

It also looks like the tree was to late into leaf to repot to myself.
I'm in the Sacramento area, but at the base of the foothills. We generally have 5 days over 100 in the summer. All the other days will be in the 90's. Sometimes I wish I was on the coast. :cool:

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
right thing.

You'll come to find this land under "it depends"....which, when I think about it .....

Is really just asking all the questions about any situation like we should .....we meaning everyone in earth. Not just bonsai folk.

You will reap the benefits of the benefits as long as you allow correction of the non beneficial!

Sorce

Top Bottom