Trident Maple layer advice - should I chop or should I grow?

Grego83

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Planted this trident maple a year ago. The trunk is thick enough for me at this point and I'd like to do something with it. I plan on ground layering it to get rid of the ugly surface root.

Have a few questions.

Should I chop it now and start to develop some branches first before layering it?

or

Should I layer it now and let it grow before chopping? I would think this would make the new roots grow faster. And if so should I get rid of more than one leader or just let it go like I have been?

Thanks for any advice. I will move it away from the wall too for more balanced growth...
IMG_2067.JPGIMG_2068.JPG

markyscott

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
What’s your vision for the final shape and size of the tree? Are you trying to grow a shohin tree, a big 40” sumo, something else?

S

Grego83

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
What’s your vision for the final shape and size of the tree? Are you trying to grow a shohin tree, a big 40” sumo, something else?

S

Was thinking an informal upright, maybe 16" tall. Wanted something to practice on with branch development techniques so I can learn some stuff hands on. Planted from a 1 gallon last year.

But, looking at nice fat tridents makes me think it should stay growing in the container for another 5-10 years. The trunk is only maybe 1.25".

So if I let it keep growing, I can layer now. That will give me something to do...Should I be developing branches at all now?

Thank you for helping a newbie.

markyscott

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Was thinking an informal upright, maybe 16" tall. Wanted something to practice on with branch development techniques so I can learn some stuff hands on. Planted from a 1 gallon last year.

But, looking at nice fat tridents makes me think it should stay growing in the container for another 5-10 years. The trunk is only maybe 1.25".

So if I let it keep growing, I can layer now. That will give me something to do...Should I be developing branches at all now?

Thank you for helping a newbie.

A rule of thumb I use is to let the tree grow until it reaches ~2/3 the desired final thickness. Then chop back to 1/3 of the desired final height. So if your looking for a 16” tall sumo trident, you have some growing to do before you’re ready to chop. I’m guessing you’ll want it to be at least 12” final caliper. In that case you might think about putting it in the ground. You could also get away with a more delicate tree with a 6” trunk or so, and you’ll end up with a very nice tree. If that’s what you’re looking for, let it grow until it’s at least 4” wide and then chop back to about 5”. Don’t worry about branches while you’re building trunk.

S

Grego83

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
A rule of thumb I use is to let the tree grow until it reaches ~2/3 the desired final thickness. Then chop back to 1/3 of the desired final height. So if your looking for a 16” tall sumo trident, you have some growing to do before you’re ready to chop. I’m guessing you’ll want it to be at least 12” final caliper. In that case you might think about putting it in the ground. You could also get away with a more delicate tree with a 6” trunk or so, and you’ll end up with a very nice tree. If that’s what you’re looking for, let it grow until it’s at least 4” wide and then chop back to about 5”. Don’t worry about branches while you’re building trunk.

S

Alright then. It will be fun to watch when it gets windy and the tree is flopping around everywhere.

Might as well plant another one in the ground too since this will be a while...

Grego83

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Just read Smoke's article on maple trunk chopping... Thanks for bearing with me.....

Top Bottom