Trident Maple leaf loss?

RegnarBonsai

Seedling
Reaction score
I have 2 trident maple cuttings that are at least a couple years old. I ordered them from evergreen gardenworks and slip potted them a couple months ago. They pushed out a good 4-5 inches of new growth. Now over the last couple weeks the leaf edges have started turning black and drying out, then the leaves have been falling off. Most of the leaves it had when I got it are gone. The new leaves had been unaffected so I wasn't too worried but recently the oldest of the new growth started to show symptoms and now I'm worried. Anyone have any idea what this could be? I have kept them in my back yard where they only get morning sun until about noon to 1. I live in portland oregon and the weather has not been hot. Thanks for any knowledge you can share.

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Pictures would be helpful. It could be fungal, have you tried spraying with a fungicide? Seeing how you live in the PNW, you have conditions that are ripe for fungal problems.
Can't say more without pictures... You should update your profile with your location, it'll make it easier when you post a question...

Also you should be able to keep tridents in full sun longer than half a day since your climate is cooler. I know that some keep them in full sun in hot hot hot CA. Also could you describe your soil, and watering regimen?

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
I'm betting you have a root problem. What kind of soil are the trees in and how do you water? As usual, pictures of the tree and pot would be helpful.

RegnarBonsai

Seedling
Reaction score
At work and dont have any pictures handy. I will try and post some this evening. Soil is a fast draining mix DE, Pumice, lava, with a little compost. It is a cheaper mix I use for tree's early in development. As for water I have only had to water a here and there so far this year as the rain has been keeping everything pretty wet, and the weather has been very cool with a few 3 day long exceptions. Even my tree's in Bonsai pots havent needed water unless we go like 3 days without rain.

jkd2572

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I have had horrible fungal problems on my tridents this year. I would treat them with fungicide to be on the safe side. Docanil is what I use. Not sure if I spelled correctly. Found at most garden stores. Red bottle.

RegnarBonsai

Seedling
Reaction score
Pictures added

Here are some pictures. I also noticed some similar effects starting on a couple JM I ordered at the same time.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    200.3 KB · Views: 35
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    189.2 KB · Views: 44
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    189.4 KB · Views: 39
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg