trident maple leaves not maturing to dark green

ScottNYC

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Have a trident maple with some of its leaves that stay the yellowish red color from when they were new, looks as if they never mature to dark green. been the same since spring. anyone know what that can mean?
IMG_5504.jpgIMG_5507.jpgIMG_5510.jpg

NOZZLE HEAD

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
It doesn’t have a pattern that looks like a specific nutrient deficiency to me.

It could be a cultivar that stays that color, or an improper amount of light.

What fertilizer have you given it?

Kanorin

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Are you sure those aren’t places where a recent flush of growth has occurred? My trident is pushing some new growth right now too because the weather cooled down and I did a very light prune 10 days ago.

Maiden69

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
That's new growth... nothing to worry about.

Trident 1.JPG

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Um, that's what new growth on tridents (and many other deciduous trees) looks like...the red color is from sun exposure. The redder the new growth, the more sun it has gotten. Tridents can push new growth into the fall sometimes...wouldn't worry about it.

ScottNYC

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone

biogold

ScottNYC

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone

biogold

ScottNYC

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Um, that's what new growth on tridents (and many other deciduous trees) looks like...the red color is from sun exposure. The redder the new growth, the more sun it has gotten. Tridents can push new growth into the fall sometimes...wouldn't worry about it.
right but it seems that the new growth stays the same color never changes, maybe im wrong, ill keep an eye on it. thx for reply

ScottNYC

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Are you sure those aren’t places where a recent flush of growth has occurred? My trident is pushing some new growth right now too because the weather cooled down and I did a very light prune 10 days ago.
yeah it was new growth, but at what point does the new growth turn green? how much time from new growth to maturity

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
yeah it was new growth, but at what point does the new growth turn green? how much time from new growth to maturity
I would imagine different variables apply for one to really answer that. At the end of the day...it isn't something I lose sleep over. I just enjoy a healthy tree growing.

Kanorin

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
It's a gradual change that probably depends on rate of growth and sun exposure. Maybe around 2-3 weeks?
*Note that if that shoot continues to grow, new young red leaves will continue to emerge from the end of the shoot, while the leaves that emerged last week and the week before will slowly be changing color to green.

Top Bottom