Trident Maple Mid June and still has not leafed out

Datguy

Sapling
Reaction score
Hello Everyone,

Here is my problem. I had purchased a trident maple in December. I had seen images of the tree earlyer in the year and it was happy and healthy , I just didn't have time to pick it up and earlyer. We are now in mid June and I still don't have a single bud that has any singhs of life. It did get afew cold snaps I'm sure it was not used to, but even still when I cut back a branch to a different set of buds it is still green. Does anyone have any ideas of how I can promote a leaf out? I still have it on a watering scedual and I am taking care of it as it were in full leaf. Does anyone have any ideas??

Thank You,

misfit11

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
What is your location? I suppose it's possible if you're in an extreme northern location that it's just late to push. Doesn't sound good though. My Tridents have be in full leaf for months. Don't over water.

Datguy

Sapling
Reaction score
Currently located in Canada zone 6B, and all my other trees have leaked out fully.

Datguy

Sapling
Reaction score
I do and when I make cuts to branch's it is green also. I just have no leaves.

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
I do and when I make cuts to branch's it is green also. I just have no leaves.
My Acers that were ALMOST killed by sub-zero temps JUST started pushing...

But I'm, in all actuality, where I live, quite a bit colder than you.

Dormant trees require a fraction of the water their "woke" counterparts do... It is possible overwatering damaged your "shin" roots.. (the heart)...

A picture, even though there's no foliage, would be helpful. So we can determine age of tree and substrate.

I'm wishing you luck...

🤓

VAFisher

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I've had crape myrtles not leaf out until July before. If it's green and flexible, just give it time.

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
There's definitely something wrong when a tree is so late but, like the others, I'd continue care and cross fingers. Occasionally I've had trees bud up months after they should.

The bark scratch test is not conclusive. It sometimes takes several months for the cambium to dry out after death, especially during dormancy and no leaves. IMHO the scratch test doe s way more harm than good.

palafr01

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
If it hasn't been asked already, what kind of substrate are you growing this maple growing in? This year I lost several maples/trees due to poor drainage so this might be something important to consider. Hopefully your tree is still okay.

Datguy

Sapling
Reaction score
Here is the attached Trident maple. It is planted in pure akadama.

Top Bottom