Trident maple, my first pre-bonsai

AaronVh

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Bought my first pre-bonsai today. A trident maple from a Bonsai nursery. The tree was growing in the field. I trimmed the roots and put it in a wooden trainingbox (akadama/pumice/lava). Now it needs pruning but I'm not sure which branches / part of the trunk to take of. I'm thinking of a informal upright style for this tree. Any suggestions where/what to chop? Thank you.

Attachments

• IMG_20200229_180040.jpg
    IMG_20200229_180040.jpg
    172.8 KB · Views: 100
  • IMG-20200229-WA0002.jpg
    IMG-20200229-WA0002.jpg
    261.7 KB · Views: 116
  • IMG-20200229-WA0001.jpg
    IMG-20200229-WA0001.jpg
    173.7 KB · Views: 134

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
Your trunk needs to increase in diameter some, and you just repotted this tree. I would not style it this year. Keep all the branches, let 'em grow. You need the tree to rebuild its root system. You want an increase in diameter for the trunk. More leaves, more leaf surface area, the quicker your trunk increases in diameter. Put off styling it for a year or two from now.

manlion89

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10A
If it were my tree, I would let it grow unrestrained for a few years and work building a thicker trunk. The tree lacks taper and needs a bigger trunk.

If you are intent on chopping it, cut on the red lines in the photo attached and make the small branch circled in yellow or another bud that is near the big chop the new leader. You could also air layer off the top and have 2 trees!

Attachments

• 7AD8F3EE-E9B3-4CEA-9840-6D180012C7C2.jpeg
    7AD8F3EE-E9B3-4CEA-9840-6D180012C7C2.jpeg
    140.7 KB · Views: 148

manlion89

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10A
Your trunk needs to increase in diameter some, and you just repotted this tree. I would not style it this year. Keep all the branches, let 'em grow. You need the tree to rebuild its root system. You want an increase in diameter for the trunk. More leaves, more leaf surface area, the quicker your trunk increases in diameter. Put off styling it for a year or two from now.

Hahaha. Looks like 2 votes for let it grow, build that trunk up!

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
So many trees where the first suggestion is let it grow...... Without even asking the owner what they want.
I agree this tree has many problems. That's typical of so many field grown trees and more so with trees field grown by inexperienced growers.

This one does appear to have reasonable nebari. It is a pity the grower planted the trunk vertical in the ground. Now that the roots are larger and set in place it is difficult to change. Informal upright trees look far better when the initial trunk angle is not vertical.

If the OP wants a quick bonsai there's at least one possible with minimal reductions.
trident 00.PNG
Cut at the pink line to remove a branch that's completely at odds to the rest of the tree. Whatever you do i think that one must go.
The trunk bends lead naturally to the middle left branch so pruning the very large main trunk at the red line would give a passable trunk to grow new branches on. Those cuts would be large and will take years to heal but would be hidden among foliage as the branches and apex develop so not a deal breaker.

The main apex trunk does have a pleasing bend that matches well with the lower parts so alternative pruning would be as this virt.
trident 01.PNG

This has the advantage of slightly smaller cuts spread around the tree so less visible.

Neither of these options will produce a really powerful or dynamic bonsai. If the OP had wanted that they would not have purchased this particular tree.
I think there are always choices. In this case you can take the long way - cut and/or allow the trunk to grow. In my experience this will just delay the inevitable and usually just produces a larger tree with poor character. Let it grow is not always a solution.
Alternative is as suggested and use mediocre material to produce a passable bonsai, learn as you go and use that knowledge to purchase better and develop better next time.

AaronVh

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Thank you. I will let it grow this year and strengthen the root system. After that I will cut some branches.

AaronVh

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
So many trees where the first suggestion is let it grow...... Without even asking the owner what they want.
I agree this tree has many problems. That's typical of so many field grown trees and more so with trees field grown by inexperienced growers.

This one does appear to have reasonable nebari. It is a pity the grower planted the trunk vertical in the ground. Now that the roots are larger and set in place it is difficult to change. Informal upright trees look far better when the initial trunk angle is not vertical.

If the OP wants a quick bonsai there's at least one possible with minimal reductions.
View attachment 286001
Cut at the pink line to remove a branch that's completely at odds to the rest of the tree. Whatever you do i think that one must go.
The trunk bends lead naturally to the middle left branch so pruning the very large main trunk at the red line would give a passable trunk to grow new branches on. Those cuts would be large and will take years to heal but would be hidden among foliage as the branches and apex develop so not a deal breaker.

The main apex trunk does have a pleasing bend that matches well with the lower parts so alternative pruning would be as this virt.
View attachment 286003

This has the advantage of slightly smaller cuts spread around the tree so less visible.

Neither of these options will produce a really powerful or dynamic bonsai. If the OP had wanted that they would not have purchased this particular tree.
I think there are always choices. In this case you can take the long way - cut and/or allow the trunk to grow. In my experience this will just delay the inevitable and usually just produces a larger tree with poor character. Let it grow is not always a solution.
Alternative is as suggested and use mediocre material to produce a passable bonsai, learn as you go and use that knowledge to purchase better and develop better next time.
Thank you for your extensive and honest response. I'm not shocked that I did not bought the best possible tree, still got a lot to learn I guess . But for now it's ok, I'm happy with my first step:). I really like the last virt you are suggesting, the one with the more smaller cuts. I will let the root system strengthen as suggested for a year and next year I will use your suggestion for cutting the branches.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
If going so Ziggy and zaggy, I'd consider having the trunk leave the soil at an angle.

Sorce

Top Bottom