Trident Maple new growth turning red?

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Hey guys,

I have a few trident maples that have had problems with low vigor off and on all season. I noticed some new growth over the last couple of weeks, but the new growth is a deep red and does not seem to be turning green at all. I have also noticed some discolored/stunted/dead new growth on some of my japanese maples as well. Anyone have any ideas what may be causing these issues specifically with new growth on the tree?

trident 1.jpgtrident 2.jpg

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
New growth on most trees kept in the sunshine is red. That's what this is. The fuller the sun, the redder the new growth. Full sun can also stunt new growth and mess with new leaves. '

What's the sun exposure on these? If it's full sun well into the afternoon, the trees would probably appreciate a bit of shade beginning at noon into the rest of the day.

Fonz

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I'm experiencing the same thing with my trident. We had lots of sun the last weeks and my trident was in it 10-14hours a day. Now it's cooler and more clouded. I'll make sure to provide some shade next time the sun does it's thing.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Yeah these are in full sun most of the day, they get a break for a couple hours in the direct middle of the day but they do see several hours of late afternoon sun.

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
Completely normal for tridents to push vibrant red growth like this. My potted and in ground tridents love full sun exposure and tend to grow the best when getting lots of direct sunshine through the day. Fwiw, all my tridents suffered a bit with dead leaves and growing tips over the last month, mainly due to the high humidity and constant rain.

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Don't worry they will turn green when they get their cuticle and harden off......:p

-norwegian_blue-

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
It can also be a function of heat, IMO. I have some tridents that get very little sun, yet this year (it has be unseasonably hot), the new growth on them is much redder than usual.

Last edited:

River's Edge

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Completely normal for tridents to push vibrant red growth like this. My potted and in ground tridents love full sun exposure and tend to grow the best when getting lots of direct sunshine through the day. Fwiw, all my tridents suffered a bit with dead leaves and growing tips over the last month, mainly due to the high humidity and constant rain.
Fully agree! I put my trident saplings in the full sun this year. Change of grow bed and the result is much redder leaves than usual. We had an early spell of hotter weather this spring as well.

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
What's this hardening off you are talking about, could you please teach me about it? :cool:
I have only had it explained to me four times. I’m still weak on the subject. It seems just wing it is the go to guy with the straight poop on the subject

Top Bottom