Trident maple new leaves keep turning brown and dieing

Reaction score
I have a 18 yr. maple. I repotted this year in spring into a good size nursery pot. It budded out fairly nice, but the new leaves stay only a few days before turning brown and die. It is in partial shade and temps are in low 80's. Could this be too much water?

Judge

Yamadori
Reaction score
Sound like root rot , I had one just like that and did a root prune and repot.
Then placed it in a plastic bag , with vents .
Keep giving it a misting every chance you get.
Be prepared for it to die.
But remember the tree wants to live, just give it all the chances you can to recoup.

Nybonsai12

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
what soil is it in? pic of leaves?

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Could be alot of things.
Too much water
Too little water
Leaf burn/sun scorch
Fungus

Pictures of the tree would be a big help.
Also update your profile with your location so we dont have to keep asking.....

iant

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9B
From the picture it looks like... well... it's hard to tell. Also in your location... which is.... ??? .... that could also be a factor.
You get the idea...
Ian

edprocoat

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Pics would help some, at least they would give us something to look at ... :) One thing for certain if you think its too much water you do not want to give it a misting at all that would just get it more wet . lol Another thing that would help with questions that you have would be to fill out your location in your profile so people could give advice more specific to your USDA zone. When you repotted the tree did you take back the foliage as much as the roots, the reason I asked that if it has a massive canopy (18 yrs. old) and you did a major root prune to fit it in your pot it may not be able to support the leaves with the root system it has left. Its a good practice to remove canopy in equal amount to the roots removed.

ed

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Hey Ed, misting the foliage if you are careful and cover the substrate doesn't make the ROOTS any wetter which is the whole idea with misting. Gives the top of the tree some humidity and stimulates new growth without rewetting the roots. Read up on how newly collected trees are cared for, as this is the standard procedure in most cases. If the root pruning was too aggressive, then most times, treating like a newly collected tree is generally a good way to think about it.

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
I hate to say it, but in my experience, maples exhibiting this behavior are experiencing total root collapse. The tree will continue to push smaller leaves that brown and die until the trunk is completely depleted of energy, then it's over. I lost several shishigashira 1 yr old layers I worked this spring in the manner described above...I suspect a fungal pathogen was introduced when I worked the roots. It took 2-4 weeks once it became apparent they were ill, and despite appropriate care, they all died. I also had a trident years ago that I suspect suffered freeze damage to the roots after it started to grow...it did the same thing for a few weeks then it was over. With this said, the best thing to do is stop any fertilizing and keep the soil just barely moist...damaged roots don't pull much water or ferts from the soil. Morning sun is best, too

0soyoung

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I lost several shishigashira 1 yr old layers I worked this spring in the manner described above...I suspect a fungal pathogen was introduced when I worked the roots.
This is also a symptom of simply 'overworking' the roots; i.e., root combing too aggressively. The catch-22 is that there has to be some operationational foliage to have an auxin signal to the roots - they won't grow without it.

garywood

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Typically, Fungal infection do not cross leaf veins but bacteria do. This is the problem when diagnosing without history Desiccation is an option that mimics both so isolation of variables without detailed history and /or pics is just pure speculation and even with that it is still speculation without pathology

Reaction score
I am afraid it may be root rot. When I did repot, as I would rake through the roots clumps of thin fine roots would just fall out. I hate that it will die, someone bought me the tree 3 years ago. I think they payed $700

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I am afraid it may be root rot. When I did repot, as I would rake through the roots clumps of thin fine roots would just fall out. I hate that it will die, someone bought me the tree 3 years ago. I think they payed $700

Were the roots black and/or mushy and slimy? If so then yes it was root rot. If not then it is something else.

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Too bad for the tree, I was really hoping to see what one gets for $700.00?

Top Bottom