Trident Maple noob question...

alonsou

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
I'm sorry if this has been asked before but how do you go about growing Trident Maples with such buttressed bases? Is there any special technique that I should know/learn, and can you point me into that direction if possible, books,links,websites..?

dsc_4810.jpg

untitl10.jpg

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
I believe those buttressed bases are achieved by repeated re-pots where the emphasis is placed on letting the lateral roots first ramify, then grow unhindered until they fuse together. The tree are usually grown out in shallow wooden boxes to facilitate the root's development. The whole process takes maybe 10-15 years (educated guessing here) in optimal growing conditions to achieve results like those shown in those pictures. I don't have a website to recommend, though there is an article in an old Bonsai Today mag that illustrated much of what I mentioned above, I'll see if I can find it.

Dave

PS Aren't those pics of one of Suthin Sulkovisit's trees? I bet he knows the secret

jk_lewis

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8
Lots and lots of trunk chops, and lots and lots of TIME.

alonsou

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
PS Aren't those pics of one of Suthin Sulkovisit's trees? I bet he knows the secret

Yes, that's one of Suthin's trees, I'll see if I can get a hold of him.

alonsou

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
Thanks Ryan, in fact that's the same thread that inspired me to ask this question here, still looking for more information about it, I read that also grafting several cuttings to the base will give you similar results, is that true?

Redwood Ryan

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
Thanks Ryan, in fact that's the same thread that inspired me to ask this question here, still looking for more information about it, I read that also grafting several cuttings to the base will give you similar results, is that true?

I too have read this, but I have never tried it. I do know that fusing them can be done easily, but it takes time.

majohnson

Seedling
Reaction score
Trident Maple

Page 36 of Bonsai with Japanese Maples showes how to develope a trunk like that. There is also a way of fusing seedlings using a wire hoop.

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Page 36 of Bonsai with Japanese Maples showes how to develope a trunk like that. There is also a way of fusing seedlings using a wire hoop.

Yes that method is used here.

Top Bottom