Trident Maple Not Budding

HENDO

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4a
Hey All,

This is my first trident maple and it is not budding yet, I'm starting to get worried. What is the usual time for budding in the Houston area or in this zone?

There are only 2 buds that showed up a couple weeks ago, only 1 seems to be popping but very, very slowly.

It was field collected/chopped/potted same day February 22. The chop is a bit high but I was partly instructed to keep it like that for more options. I would like to eventually chop lower, or now if OK to do so but I doubt it. Root pruning was heavy because the landowner didn't want big holes left in his field... had to take most of the feeders off with the field soil/clay.

Drainage seems quite good. I have to admit soil is not ideal but not bad. It is mostly used (~1-1.5yr) med/coarse APL but lightly sifted of most fines, some old juniper roots left in it. I did have to use a lot of expanded shale as well on the bottom for drainage. I just didn't have enough new soil at my disposal... Some shredded sphagnum on top to help with root growth.

The edges of most of the root cuts are starting to heal over. I pulled some paste from the top (one of my dogs started the process for me) and it has started to heal a bit as well, pushing fluids.

I did just squish one spider mite on it but can't see any more.

Is this thing dead/dying? Or is this bud action normal? Anything that could be done further at this stage in the game?

Thanks in advance!

20200406_102718.jpg
Buds:
20200406_102737.jpg
Root cut healing:
20200406_102907.jpg
Top sort of healing:
20200406_102826.jpg
Extent of feeders left before potting:
20200222_174203.jpg
Soil quality at surface:
20200406_153447.jpg

HENDO

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4a
Not dead... but definitely wounded! How far along was the tree when it was dug and chopped?
Yes indeed it took a beating that day!

It seemed to be pretty much completely dormant. This was a group dig with our Bonsai society here - I believe some of the other members' trees are doing well but will try to check more on that.

Here's how it looked before digging:
20200222_101120.jpg

20200406_184018.jpg

HENDO

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4a
Give it time... I bet you'll have some buds pushing in another week or 2.
Thanks Dav4! I will be patiently watching this p bonsai pot boil for sure. Hopefully for the next update this thing will have red chicken pox all over!

Thanks again

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Don't get frustrated of it takes a bit longer.

There is a natural rythym it may wait for after the Solstice.

Sorce

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
It takes a lot longer for a chopped tree to mobilise and get new buds started. It obviously was not expecting to ever have to grow buds that low so now has to reorganize everything and start again. Expect several weeks, maybe a couple of months delay from normal trident budding.
Do not worry about the root cuts. I would normally cut trident roots back to just short stubs. Eventually it may need to fit into a bonsai pot so the roots will need to be short. Cutting roots short also gives you better root ramification closer to the trunk.
Tridents grow new roots from the cut ends very easily. That callus you can see is actually the start of new roots. Make sure those are properly covered so they can develop into roots.
Sit back and let it do its thing in its own time as it almost certainly will.

BobbyLane

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
It takes a lot longer for a chopped tree to mobilise and get new buds started. It obviously was not expecting to ever have to grow buds that low so now has to reorganize everything and start again. Expect several weeks, maybe a couple of months delay from normal trident budding.
Do not worry about the root cuts. I would normally cut trident roots back to just short stubs. Eventually it may need to fit into a bonsai pot so the roots will need to be short. Cutting roots short also gives you better root ramification closer to the trunk.
Tridents grow new roots from the cut ends very easily. That callus you can see is actually the start of new roots. Make sure those are properly covered so they can develop into roots.
Sit back and let it do its thing in its own time as it almost certainly will.

i always found that most deciduous take around that time to recover and grow after a hard chop. can take a while for them to re adjust for sure.

Stan Kengai

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
As others have said, give it time. And more importantly, leave it alone.

When a trunk is severely chopped, it can sometimes take 4-6 weeks for the plant to start growing again. In addition to that, this plant was severely root pruned, which could delay it further. Don't worry over it, just be patient.

HENDO

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4a
Thanks All, very good pointers on being patient, not worrying about the root cuts and protecting them, etc. You probably saved this one from being panick-repotted.

I suppose I'm lucky enough to have a nice corner in the yard to sit at and sip beers while watching my trunk chops grow - it's more entertaining than watching paint dry! From the sounds of it this one should be popping shortly so will update accordingly.

Thanks again!

20200407_184904.jpg

manlion89

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10A
Thanks All, very good pointers on being patient, not worrying about the root cuts and protecting them, etc. You probably saved this one from being panick-repotted.

I suppose I'm lucky enough to have a nice corner in the yard to sit at and sip beers while watching my trunk chops grow - it's more entertaining than watching paint dry! From the sounds of it this one should be popping shortly so will update accordingly.

Thanks again!

View attachment 294528

You got some nice trunks to work with! That BC next to the trident has great taper.

Maloghurst

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I wouldn’t give up on this even if it doesn’t have leaves through next winter. Could pick right back up next year.

manlion89

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10A
I wouldn’t give up on this even if it doesn’t have leaves through next winter. Could pick right back up next year.
Agreed. It’s been a super cold spring in SoCal so far and my tridents were slow to leaf out. Last week, we had 2 days in the high 70s and every trident exploded. Hoping that this one is waiting for some heat to explode with new shoots!

HENDO

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4a
You got some nice trunks to work with! That BC next to the trident has great taper.
Thanks & I'm glad you like it! It was a beast to swamp-dig and I'm very excited about it.

I have to admit, these trunk chops are almost more exciting to look at than the developed/semi-developed bonsai - so many options, so many possible activities!

I actually had a thread on this BC, thanks for reminding me as its probably time to update, might be going for a flat top depending on shoot options here:

HENDO

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4a
I'm starting to have faith. The "first bud" is about 0.5mm longer now and some have even joined the party since I first posted.

There is a significant amount of sap bursting out the putty covering the chop which I'm not sure is normal or not - if I push on the putty it literally drips out!

20200410_182152.jpg

20200410_182238.jpg

20200410_182201.jpg

manlion89

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10A
Thanks & I'm glad you like it! It was a beast to swamp-dig and I'm very excited about it.

I have to admit, these trunk chops are almost more exciting to look at than the developed/semi-developed bonsai - so many options, so many possible activities!

I actually had a thread on this BC, thanks for reminding me as its probably time to update, might be going for a flat top depending on shoot options here:
Reminded me to update my thread on the big new Trident I picked up this winter. This one was the last to leaf out but is now going 0 to 60.

MrWunderful

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
I'm starting to have faith. The "first bud" is about 0.5mm longer now and some have even joined the party since I first posted.

There is a significant amount of sap bursting out the putty covering the chop which I'm not sure is normal or not - if I push on the putty it literally drips out!

View attachment 295192

View attachment 295193

View attachment 295194
Yeah thats the syrup ;)

its a good sign the tree is moving a lot of water and definitely isnt dead. Dont touch it unless to water or feed until next year :)

HENDO

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4a
Well, there are now a couple of really nice shoots which I am very happy about, but they are unfortunately on the side of the tree with absolutely zero roots/nebari :mad:

The first set of buds on the "front" have since either died off or fell victim to a squirrel attack...

Still being patient and hoping for more shoots. Doing some research on trident root grafting for the "back"/flat side, for when the time may come.

20200509_143949.jpg

20200509_144015.jpg

20200509_144126.jpg

20200509_144144.jpg

Top Bottom