Trident Maple over rock Tips?

Reaction score
Tips?

MY vision for this trident maple is to turn it into a broom style bonsai... any advice to make this bonsai better.. any visionaries?

Attachments

• IMG_1435.JPG
    IMG_1435.JPG
    273.1 KB · Views: 146
Reaction score
It is too straight without taper and it would need a series of chop and grow cycles ( years) to correct that. That is an example of investing a loooot of a time in bad material.

I paid $60 bucks at a bonsai nursery.. some body please tell me this is not a bad bonsai...?... Should I take out the rock..? YOur saying taper in order to thickin trunk at base or what? can you show me an example... ?? I seriously dont want to feel like this was a bad purchase...

Reaction score
OKay I see what you saying. But Gosh, this make me want to return it to bonsai nursery that I paid 60 for in exchange for one that already had the taper... I mean, wont it eventually thickin up as long as I dont let the top grow any more.? Plus how would you even taper 2 trunks attached together??

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I am in California also. The land of trident maples. The man who sold you this for 60.00 should be strung up from the nearest oak tree. From where did you buy this magic bean?

erb.75

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
this tree doesn't belong in the trash

ROR take a LONG time to develop in general...that's why there are not that many around, and for those that are around, not that many good ones. this is a long term project for sure....but not trash worthy....so what if you have to chop it at some point to get better taper

Reaction score
Would It look good if I took the rock out? ... does cutting the apex of the tree help keep it thick? (form of a taper?)... Ya'll are making me nervous thinking I wasted 60 bucks on this...

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
omg.. Yes it was Murayama..WHHHY????

Yes you were taken advantage of. This is a high quality nursery, the best in Northern California. Buying anything from a nursery is Caveat Emptor.
It is not the fault of the nursery if you purchase a piece for marked price not knowing the difference if you are being took or not. I have baough many cultivars of tridents there, and many of the leaves are shown on my blog at the bottom of this page.

You just missed the Shohin seminar in Santa Nella in which Ed Clark sells many tridents already attached to stones, very good stones also, looks exactly like Ibigawa stone.

Some shots at Maruyama Nursery.
DSC_00160016.JPG DSC_00170017.JPG View attachment 95402DSC_00030003.JPG DSC_00530053.JPG DSC_00600060.JPG DSC_00160016.JPG DSC_00170017.JPG DSC_00390039.JPG DSC_00160016.JPG DSC_00170017.JPG DSC_00030003.JPG DSC_00530053.JPG DSC_00600060.JPG

Reaction score
Crap that sucks! I'm going to go there and complain on Monday! And demand an exchange...! How much should my trident be then?

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
These are some from Ed
002.JPG 003.JPG 004.JPG 005.JPG 006.JPG

Here is one from Ed firmly attached to a stone with good flare and nice taper for .......75.00 Bucks!

015.JPG

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Crap that sucks! I'm going to go there and complain on Monday! And demand an exchange...! How much should my trident be then?
Good luck! You bought it and was happy to give him the money. He did not cheat you in any way, YOU just made a poor buying decision. You and I have no right to put a price on his material, but you and I retain the decision to not purchase. Forget it and move on.

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Make some lemonade...use it to do techniques that will improve on what you have. Lesson learned...move on and make some sweet lemonade.

Though curious... @Smoke should he cover the roots to help develop what is there on the rock you think?

Reaction score
Good luck! You bought it and was happy to give him the money. He did not cheat you in any way, YOU just made a poor buying decision. You and I have no right to put a price on his material, but you and I retain the decision to not purchase. Forget it and move on.
I'm the type I will raise my fist... I see what ur saying but I'm going to tell her off on Monday... Seriously... If she knew that it wasn't worth 60 then she was wrongfully trying to get money out of me... What should this trident really cost?

Top Bottom