Trident Maple over rock Tips?

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
$80?? So I did get a good deal then?
Depends on why you are buying the tree.

As a yard tree this would cost about $80.00 in a regular nursery. Nurseries around here have trident yard trees though they are hard to find around the country.

As bonsai material this would be considered a leverite, leave er right in the nursery where you seen it.

Everything in life has value, depending on the application more value to some than to others. You felt it had value or else you wouldn't have paid $60.00 for it. Work it, learn from it, and lower your fist, Yuso is black belt in about 4 martial arts...he would kill you with his little finger.

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Timing...is everything. You are to repot before buds open. I see leaves on your tree. So...what's wrong...I'm not as familiar with trident. But...most deciduous trees you pot when buds swell. If they are blooming trees then there is a small rule breaker if blooms arrive before leafs.

Once potted...one should not disturb roots again so soon. Especially at the wrong time. I also seen the chop where the one did the quick virt. You apparently liked the rock look upon purchase. Work with it...but...I'm not sure I would chop until I seen some signs of no stress from potting out of the ideal time.
Tridents can be repotted well after bud break. They are very tolorant of repotting. Japanese maples too can be repotted after leaf break but should be given shade. Tridents can tolorate full sun for me right now directly after repotting. Only 63 today. Pruning and repotting pines and junipers right now.

Dalmat

Shohin
Reaction score
I might try that technique.. Can I use Saran Wrap.? .. It won't suffocate it will it?
You may have problem with watering then, if you water the tree regulary,part in Saran wrap will stay too moist and you can have some rot on that part. You need some breathable material around.

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Tridents can be repotted well after bud break. They are very tolorant of repotting. Japanese maples too can be repotted after leaf break but should be given shade. Tridents can tolorate full sun for me right now directly after repotting. Only 63 today. Pruning and repotting pines and junipers right now.
Thanks Al! At least he doesn't have that stacked against him.

Reaction score
You may have problem with watering then, if you water the tree regulary,part in Saran wrap will stay too moist and you can have some rot on that part. You need some breathable material around.
Since it's already formed around rock... Would I even need anything; can I just lower it below soil ?

Reaction score
Dude. That's un called for.. If u want a bigger trunk u should be putting in a bigger pot! Who are you to say bonsai isn't for me ? jerk!

Redwood Ryan

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
Not sure how aware of this you are, but bonsai is a hobby about keeping small trees in small pots. It was a tongue-in-cheek comment that you took a little too seriously.

I've been reading your posts lately. You show a lot of enthusiasm, which is great. However, you seem to do something then ask after you've done it if you did the right thing. IMO, maybe you should slow down a bit and read up. Read up on wiring and about the trees you have currently.

I didn't mean to offend, just the way you worded that was ironic.

Reaction score
First I'm not going to wire until a few years from now... I'm learning how to Maintece. However, you know darn well that trunks can get bigger in a larger shallow pot not a small shallow pot.. Yes tapering is the best. But it wasn't in a " training pot" the last time the nursery repotted was years ago. So why not prune roots and repot. I don't think repotting once you get it from nursery is a problem. Besides I know what it's takes in Bonsai. And I'm not in a hurry too grow them.. However I am in a hurry to gain knowledge and info yes
Not sure how aware of this you are, but bonsai is a hobby about keeping small trees in small pots. It was a tongue-in-cheek comment that you took a little too seriously.

I've been reading your posts lately. You show a lot of enthusiasm, which is great. However, you seem to do something then ask after you've done it if you did the right thing. IMO, maybe you should slow down a bit and read up. Read up on wiring and about the trees you have currently.

anything until the trees have grown..

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Dude. That's un called for.. If u want a bigger trunk u should be putting in a bigger pot! Who are you to say bonsai isn't for me ? jerk!
One does not grow bigger trunks in pots. One grows bigger trunks in the ground or great big pots not designed for exhibit.

barrosinc

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
015-jpg.95420
it is a ceramic pot meant for display (maybe not the best, but still for a bonsai in a final phase), look on that image to see what size pot is used to get the roots to grasp onto the rock.

whfarro

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6A
I'm the type I will raise my fist... I see what ur saying but I'm going to tell her off on Monday... Seriously... If she knew that it wasn't worth 60 then she was wrongfully trying to get money out of me... What should this trident really cost?
Bonsai pricing is subjective. Basically the seller will get what the market will bear. The key is to gain knowledge, skills and educate yourself as to what "good pre-bonsai" material is and what the relative value of that is to you.

Let's just say you go back as you say and "raise your fist and complain"...what have you done to equip yourself with to make a better purchasing decision this time? Patience grasshopper. Learn from this. Work this tree for a couple of seasons and chalk that money up to educational fees.

Peace out.

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Also...you need to realize...tone. One can't typically read it in text.

Ri

yup ur right.. And no pot of mine are made for exhibit
I read sarcasm...anyone else read that. Which happens to be a starting MO.

This stated to Al's quote...
One does not grow bigger trunks in pots. One grows bigger trunks in the ground or great big pots not designed for exhibit.

Good information...GREAT BIG POTS. (Some call them grow boxes) Which yours is not.

Those here are offering sound advice...eventually attitudes of one's asking for help, have ones lose ones willing to offer valuable information.

Food for thought.

Reaction score
So is my pot to small or big?
Ugh. All this is getting me upset... I need to relax. I'm sorry. Thanks for the help. I wish someone call just call to guide me over the phone.,but for now I'll soak all this up. I'm going to keep all that I have and just let them sit in the pot And grow. I'll revise and revisit.

whfarro

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6A
Ugh. All this is getting me upset... I need to relax. I'm sorry. Thanks for the help. I wish someone call just call to guide me over the phone.,but for now I'll soak all this up. I'm going to keep all that I have and just let them sit in the pot And grow. I'll revise and revisit.
Stop, relax and breathe dude.
What bonsai books do you have? What blogs have you read/followed? What topics have you searched for here? What clubs are in your area? Basic understanding is key before you proceed. You skills and judgement should improve over the years, but for now sticking to watering, fertilizing and researching the types of trees you are interested in would be a good way to start this journey.

Top Bottom