Trident maple possible health issue

Ugo

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5A
Hi!

Hope everyone is doing well!

I might have a possible health issue with my trident maple.

The tree is in leaves since about 3 weeks now and on one branche I found leaves curles with brown / black tips.
The tree receive sun in a "greenhouse" for now until temp. Allows me to transfert it outside.
I trying to figure if this is due to sun intensity/heat or could be fungal.

The rest of the entire canopy doesnt show similar signs but is not exposed as much to sun.
(Havent done the rotation yet)
I have a supplemental light in the greenhouse so the entire canopy have access to light.
The leaves that are affected are on the same branche/trunk close to some dead branches that I will have to remove.
It also appear to be on the same branche that receive the most sun throught the day.

Here the worse leaves I removed today so you can have a better look.
Please excuse the quality of the pictures.

Thanks
Ugo

20230403_205742.jpg20230403_205809.jpg20230404_144550.jpg20230404_144557.jpg20230404_144607.jpg20230404_144630.jpg20230404_144649.jpg20230404_144710.jpg20230327_115655.jpg

Rodrigo

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I have a trident clump of seedlings growing through a washer right now and one of the trunks has the same issue you're having.

I applied systemic fungicide at bud break and it gets 9+ hours of direct sunlight per day so I'm not sure it's either one of those things.
Hopefully someone else can hit us with knowledge!

20230312_125121.jpg
You can see the weird leaves about two thirds of the way up. It looks it mainly happened on the newest leaves and then stopped

bwaynef

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
At this point, I think I'd err on the side of fungal. Its hard to tell for sure. The discoloration before the black tips make me think it might be fungal.

bwaynef

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I couldn't leave well-enough alone. (That's a weird saying.) I've been reading, and those black tips are explained by scorch. Anthracnose & the like of spring fungal pathogens don't seem to only effect the tips. Its more of an all-over leaf deformity/discoloration. At least compared with what your tree is presenting.

It might still be safer to err on the side of this being a fungal pathogen, but...

Reactions: Ugo

Scorpius

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Bonide Infuse is what I treat ALL my trees with as they wake up from dormancy. I would also rotate at least three different topical spray fungicides throughout the year to avoid resistance issues. My springs are cold and wet which doesn't help any.

You might also have a root infection as well.

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
The stunted and distorted leaves appears very similar to an infection I get here sometimes. We have lots of growers all with different ideas about what causes this is and how to cure it.

I've noticed that if I do nothing the problem disappears as the weather warms up more. I suspect that most of the 'cures' that have been proposed rely on the fact that the problem disappears whether we treat it or not. For the past few years I haven't seen any of this in my tridents despite never having treated any of the infected trees.

Top Bottom