Trident maple root cutting

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Early this year, I took 2 trident maple root cuttings (2"-3" diameter). For about 6 months I saw it build some callus at the cut but no foliage growth. I investigated one 2 months ago and noticed lots of new healthy root growth all over and decided to leave it a bit longer.

Two weeks ago, I decided to abort both experiment. Both have tons of root growth but not a sign of leaves or bud. I believe this is one of the normal trees that do not grow leaves unless from the regular internode.

The callus building intrigued me though as well as the root growth. They were planted on 1 gallon pots and some roots reached the drain hole attempting to escape! :eek: Could all those be from stored energy? Looking back, I should have snapped a few pics. :(

october

Masterpiece
Reaction score
I would have given it another 6 months or longer. A tree without roots first priority is root growth. It must build it's life system before it can grow secondary growth. After the root system was established, it might have started putting energy into foliage growth.

Rob

Last edited:

Dan W.

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I've actually heard that Tridents may perform a small amount of photosynthesis through their bark. I have no idea if it's true... but this does seem to suggest it is possible. I would have let them keep going too, just to see what happened.

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Nothing will happen. I have done over 30 from bases cut off from ground layers with the same outcome.

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Thanks Smoke. With the 2 comments prior yours, I almost questioned my action of aborting the experiment but was pretty sure at that point that nothing will happen.

Next time (if another opportunity comes), I will graft a scion and see if it takes. :D

daygan

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I'm curious, Smoke, have you ever experimented with gibberellic acid, a plant growth regulator, to see if that might induce bud production on cuttings like this?

jk_lewis

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8
I planted the base of a trident some years ago. Then I just forgot it except to occasionally scrape the bark. It was 2 years before the first leaf showed up.

Patience is a great virtue.

october

Masterpiece
Reaction score
Nothing will happen. I have done over 30 from bases cut off from ground layers with the same outcome.

I would imagine that it would take a very long time for the tree to establish itself before it can start growing. Of course, I have not done this specific experiment. However, if a tree was going to put out a whole new flush of roots, as Dario's did. Then continue to grow and sustain that root system, at some point, would there be growth eventually?

Also, as jkl states a post up, it took 2 years before he first got growth.

Rob

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I've actually heard that Tridents may perform a small amount of photosynthesis through their bark. I have no idea if it's true... but this does seem to suggest it is possible. I would have let them keep going too, just to see what happened.

Could be true since it seems to be the only logical explanation for it to be able to sustain life that long and "grow".

edprocoat

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I planted the base of a trident some years ago. Then I just forgot it except to occasionally scrape the bark. It was 2 years before the first leaf showed up.

Patience is a great virtue.

I aint got the time for patience !!! :p

ed

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I would imagine that it would take a very long time for the tree to establish itself before it can start growing. Of course, I have not done this specific experiment. However, if a tree was going to put out a whole new flush of roots, as Dario's did. Then continue to grow and sustain that root system, at some point, would there be growth eventually?

Also, as jkl states a post up, it took 2 years before he first got growth.

Rob

Rob, Not sure if Trident is one of those plants that can create meristematic tissue when needed. I know several that can but most plants I know only have them at their nodes (where leaves usually are). Plants have survival capabilities we are not fully aware of as yet so it is very possible.

Everyone knows I am not patient but would have waited if I knew there is a chance of it sprouting. The way I saw it then, the experiment is taking precious real estate in my yard and it can be put to better use. Maybe I was mistaken....live and learn.

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
The bonsai trade from China has made extensive use of the elm tree and it properties of good functional growth from root cuttings.

Being that seed is dubious and cuttings 50 percent reliable, it would seem that root cuttings from tridents would be a reliable way, if possible, to propagate the species since it is so popular.

Since they don't,....I have decided to chalk it up to "not worth my time".

That is my take, I am not opposed to others spending the time trying, though I would need some photo documentation to be convinced.

Top Bottom