Trident Maple Root Problem

W3rk

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I picked up 3 new young trident maples this spring. 2 of them leafed out great early. The 3rd never did and I started to write it off as possibly dead. A few days back I noticed that some of the buds had started to move and are just starting to push leaves. I decided I should take a look at the roots and maybe a quick re-pot. As I suspected I found a lot of signs of root rot, flimsy dark roots.

But I found some good looking healthy young white roots pushing out. I decided that I did not want to risk damage to any of the good roots, especially the new growth - so I basically just slip-potted it up into a slightly larger grow bag. I also know that now wouldn't be the best time to mess with roots. But I wanted to at least ensure better drainage and aeration.

Looking for feedback. Is this likely the safest move? Or should I clean out the old root ball more and remove dead roots and get it in fresh/better soil?

Stan Kengai

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Slip potting without disturbing the roots too much was the right thing to do. Now I would recommend soaking the roots with 3% hydrogen peroxide, like you would water. Also be sure to disinfect any tools you used repotting. Only water when needed, not on a schedule. After the new leaves harden, use mild organic fertilizer only.

W3rk

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Slip potting without disturbing the roots too much was the right thing to do. Now I would recommend soaking the roots with 3% hydrogen peroxide, like you would water. Also be sure to disinfect any tools you used repotting. Only water when needed, not on a schedule. After the new leaves harden, use mild organic fertilizer only.
Thanks so much for the feedback Stan, just the kind of information I was looking for. I've used Hydrogen Peroxide before to deal fungus gnats nesting in the soil, so I'm familiar with that.

Last edited:
Top Bottom