Trident maple seed and jbp seeds

Jo53ph

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Hello there my name is joe and I am reaching out I planted a few flats of trident maple seeds and also Japanese black pine seeds back in the beginning of winter .now it beginning to be spring and I was wondering if I should have the seeds in full sun now ? This is my first year growing from seed so I appreciate the help .

Haines' Trees

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Hey Joe, welcome to the party!

I would answer your question with another question: when does the “growing season” start in your area? You’re in Ohio according to your profile, I’m in the burbs of chicago, so I’ve got a similar-ish climate to you. I know that April 10th has, on average, a 50% chance of falling within the growing season in my area. I plan on placing my seedlings outside on that day at the earliest, depending on what the forecast says around that time. If you catch a hard frost late in the year, it could mean the end of your seedlings. Are they outside at this moment, or do you have them inside under a grow light on a heat mat?

If they’re healthy indoors, I would say hold off. I’m not super familiar with Ohio weather, but if you reliably stay above 45 degrees at night you could probably put them in a full sun setting. Night time is what you have to consider more than day time right now.

Jo53ph

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Thank you also yes I would say we are very somewhat close to weather and temp I am up by the Michigan line so I’m maybe a little colder then you but to answer your question . No they are not inside .at the beginning of winter I soaked the seeds in hot water for 48 hrs then I planted them In 100 percent turface. Then I placed them outside under my benches so they could germinate during the winter . The days have been getting a warmer here and I just wasn’t sure if I should place them in the sun now or keep them under the bench till a later date .

Haines' Trees

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
If they’ve been outside all winter i would say you could transition them to at least partial sun. Wind might be a worry, we got a lot of really windy days in my area that can desiccate young plants. If you have an area you can put them in that is sheltered from strong winds but gets a bit of sun that might be ideal.

Jo53ph

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Ok yea I have the clear plastic cover on the seed trays as well to protect from wind and pest .

Attachments

• 56611699-8FF2-42BD-A4D6-43D5CED16AE1.jpeg
    56611699-8FF2-42BD-A4D6-43D5CED16AE1.jpeg
    343 KB · Views: 17

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
Be careful of plastic covers in full sun. A warm day can overheat the inside and cook seedlings. Also watch out for damping off in there. Lack of air and sun is paradise for fungi that feed on tender seedlings.
I do far better without covers on seedlings and plenty of sun. Neither trident or JBP should need protection so ditch the covers but beware of rodents and other seed eaters.
Pine seedlings can cope with some frost but if it looks like getting really cold I would put them inside until temps get back above freezing.
trident seedlings are a little more tender but will cope with mild frost. They probably won't start to germinate until the weather warms up a bit but still keep an eye on the forecast.

Jo53ph

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Ok thank you I will ditch the covers today they are planted in 100 percent turface which I notice the top layer drys out very quick do you think I should put a top layer of something else on it. If so what do you suggest?

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
I would move your trays to at least half sun right now. Seedlings of Japanese black pine will fare much better in 100% full sun, once they are up and growing. Until you see the seedlings emerge above the turface, they don't really need much sun, but a half day of sun will "warm them up" to wake them up. The tridents also like full sun, but they can develop well on a little less light than the JBP. So half sun is okay for the tridents, and can work for the whole year. Though you will get tighter growth in full sun for the tridents.

No covers on the flats. Don't bring the flats indoors. They will sprout when "the time is right", usually a week or two after trees in your landscape, like the ubiquitous Norway maples and other trees have opened their leaves.

Only worry about late frosts if the seedlings have sprouted, and then it threatens to freeze. Usually they won't sprout until well after dange of a hard freeze has passed. That is one of the advantages of starting seeds in flats outdoors. They usually won't require bringing them "in and out" in the avoiding a hard freeze dance.

Top Bottom