Trident Maple Seed problem

Njyamadori

Chumono
Reaction score
So I’ve been cold stratifying my trident maple seeds for a few months now and I noticed only in one bag I had they have started making roots. The nice guy who sent me them said I could plant them indoor with a growing light but I don’t have that or any place to . Should I plant them outside or keep them in refrigerator?

Attachments

• ECE095F3-D93F-4F63-A953-9A61980051D7.jpeg
    ECE095F3-D93F-4F63-A953-9A61980051D7.jpeg
    156.7 KB · Views: 22

JesusFreak

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8B
I’d go ahead and plant them. This is a good problem to have btw

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Plant them in a tray and place them outside, assuming it is not deep frost there.

Keeping them warm with low light will result in lanky seedlings.

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
So I’ve been cold stratifying my trident maple seeds for a few months now and I noticed only in one bag I had they have started making roots. The nice guy who sent me them said I could plant them indoor with a growing light but I don’t have that or any place to . Should I plant them outside or keep them in refrigerator?

Be careful putting them outside right now considering we have snow still on the ground in our area.
Also we are having a warm day today and tomorrow but we are getting more snow and freezing temperatures this weekend.
You do want to keep them cool though. Do you have a garage you can put them in where it would be warmer than outside but still cold?

Njyamadori

Chumono
Reaction score
Be careful putting them outside right now considering we have snow still on the ground in our area.
Also we are having a warm day today and tomorrow but we are getting more snow and freezing temperatures this weekend.
You do want to keep them cool though. Do you have a garage you can put them in where it would be warmer than outside but still cold?
Yeah I have a empty crossbase that’s connected through my garage at the same temperature. Do they need light at all ?

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Yeah I have a empty crossbase that’s connected through my garage at the same temperature. Do they need light at all ?

They dont really need light right now, they are just new roots coming out of the seed.
Many trees will germinate under a layer of leaves and/or needles and will then push their way up through that to the light.

Top Bottom