Trident maple seedlings?

Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hello,
Sorry to keep posting, I am wondering where I could find some trident maple seedlings. Not from big online retailers, like adamsbonsai sorta places.
Thanks,
Porter

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b

Note that he is moving, he may work with you on price just not to move his stock (if you catch him before the move).

My recommendation, get one bigger nice stock (compared to a seedling & note that not all trident are equal) then airlayer from it. In the ground they grow and thicken fast. The things I'd do if I have the space. :D

Good luck!

chansen

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Thanks,
His seedlings look good

Porter -

If you're in the SLC/Provo area you should come to the club meetings. We meet at 7pm on the 4th wed of every month at the Sugarhouse Garden Center off 2100 South at the northeast corner of Sugarhouse park. There is also a workshop this Saturday at the Cactus and Tropicals in Draper at 10:30.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
Chasen,
I think I might do that. I do have a mentor though, but seems fun.
As of the trident seedling,
I realize I can get bigger stock, but I love the rewarding experience of starting from a seedling. I've bought way too much of "finished" bonsai, and its kinda boring just doing nothing with a tree.
Thanks for the information.
Porter

bruce m

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8-9
if you are in the northern California area stop by and i will give you all you want,i pull them up like weeds.

jkd2572

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Matt sells top notch seedlings. He also sells on eBay. I ordered red and black pine this past winter to wire up and make twisty. He shipped great looking material and all has survived.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hi everyone.
So, last night I planted 1 two year old trident maple and 1 two year old korean hornbeam. it was raining a lot and it was very cool last night, so I thought it would be the perfect time to transplant. I planted them in a growing bed and I mixed some potting soil to give them extra nutrients.
So, I placed 2 tiles under them to keep them from growing downward. Then I placed 5 rapeseed cakes around them and watered with superthrive to reduce root shock.
So, in 2 years, where do you think these will be? Their trunks are the thickness of a pencil.
They have good branching and lower branching.
I didnt disturb the roots at all.
Also, I might buy 5 gallon stock from telfarms. Japanese maple to be exact.
Thanks,
Porter

coh

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
So are you saying that you just took the trees out of their pots and planted the entire root ball on top of a tile? Kind of like the left hand side of the figure below? If so...you will not get what you want, as the roots will tend to grow down and then spread out when they hit the tile. When we plant trees in the ground on top of tiles, we work the roots, reducing the root mass and spreading the remaining roots out horizontally. They are then planted right on top of the tile, with just a little soil below (see right hand picture; the tile is represented by the thick line). This forces the roots to spread out horizontally right at the trunk base. Otherwise, the roots grow down and spread out well below the tree.

This is also why this is typically done in the spring, when it's safe to do a lot of work on the roots.

I usually also tie the roots to the tile with wire or rope to keep the plant from lifting itself off the tile as the roots grow.

Otherwise...I have found Korean hornbeam to be one of the slowest trees to thicken. Tridents can be pretty quick but it depends on your climate, soil, etc. Often trees don't grow much the first year as they build root mass, then they take off in year 2...but this is not a firm rule, some will explode with growth the first season.

Attachments

• tiles.jpg
    tiles.jpg
    15.9 KB · Views: 75
Last edited:
Reaction score
USDA Zone
well, the soil from them just fell off. So the roots were just... flat on the tile

coh

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
So you did disturb the roots, even if accidentally (all the soil falling off counts as root disturbance). Well, provided that they can get established enough before winter, then you may have lucked out in getting the roots reasonably flat against the tile. Let us know how it works.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
Ok, the tree's are not even below the soil. I simply dug a hole the depth of the pots. then I placed the tiles right underneath them. like, I placed them on top of the tile. Then the soil fell off of them, because it is 100% akadama. So the roots are flat on the tile. but honestly, Im letting them grow. the tile is just right under them.
Thanks,
Porter

Dirty Nails

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Porter...first of all stop with all the BS. You are making yourself seem foolish. Just be straight and honest. You are trying to BS some very accomplished bonsai artists here.

Second if you are as committed to bonsai as you claim to be why are you buying single seedlings of all these trees? Trident seedlings are like, $2 each. Same with the others. Some will die, some will be ugly some you will just kill by messing with them in the wrong way. Those masterpieces you admire are not grown singly they are culled and culled again from 100's. If you really want nice stock for your lifetime plant 10 or 20...in the springtime.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
because I'm getting mixed feedback. A lot of people are telling me to buy saplings because they don't want me killing larger stock. Other's say get larger stock. See? Im getting a 50/50 side of bad and good that all of the people say is good....
Im confused. Im better off at the club next week than here

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
because I'm getting mixed feedback. A lot of people are telling me to buy saplings because they don't want me killing larger stock. Other's say get larger stock. See? Im getting a 50/50 side of bad and good that all of the people say is good....
Im confused.
Learn now that LIFE will be like that ALWAYS...analyze the reasons, then make the final choice based on what you believe will be best for you.

Im better off at the club next week than here
Maybe... ;)

Nybonsai12

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
You gotta slow your roll a little bit.

Joining a club is a good move. They can likely put you in touch with good stock of all ages in your area. They can also give you good advice regarding behavior of trees in your climate. In person tips can be given on what time of year is best to do certain things.

Get some books, do some reading. read over the forums about topics you have questions about, use the search feature. and then read over them again.

Being eager to work on trees is a great thing. But patience is better. Good luck!

Dirty Nails

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Chasen,
I think I might do that. I do have a mentor though, but seems fun.
As of the trident seedling,
I realize I can get bigger stock, but I love the rewarding experience of starting from a seedling. I've bought way too much of "finished" bonsai, and its kinda boring just doing nothing with a tree.
Thanks for the information.
Porter

You say you have bought way too much finished bonsai and it is boring. And now you don't know what kind of stock to buy and you are buying one seedling at a time?

When you go to the club meeting you need to be quiet and listen. If you tell them the kinds of things you tell us you will be branded a liar and nobody will help you.

bonsairxmd

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I've officially had enough of the lies and BS. Can someone remind me how to place someone on the ignore list so their posts don't come up? It's getting ridiculous. There are so many contradictions in everything he posts.

Rockwell bonsai- all we asked is for you to be honest and stop BS ing everyone. You are in way over your head and don't realize it. You are just digging a deeper hole. Stop posting nonsense and random crap and read read read. Go to a meeting as others have suggested but stay quiet if you want them to take you halfway serious and help you.

Top Bottom