Trident maple shaped like a pine

Rid

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I've recently seen a few comments about the dislike for trident maples grown with a 'pine design.' would the attached be an example of this?

Ridley

Attachments

• 1536678972723.png
    1536678972723.png
    162.7 KB · Views: 126

Rid

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Personal opinions. I think the tree looks great.
ok, i'm not being critical of any trees, i'm only trying to understand the concept of a pine shaped maple. i've noticed the comment a few times on here over the past few weeks.

Josh88

Shohin
Reaction score

Mike Hennigan

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
not to beat a dead horse, but is anything with a triangular crown considered pine-shaped? like this one?

https://www.bonsainut.com/threads/japanese-maple-11.35226/

Every bonsai tree is designed around the concept of a triangle, but I wouldn’t say that water pall’s Maple has a triangular crown at all. If by triangular you mean pointy. Really the opposite. It’s a very rounded crown.

And you have to look at branch structure too... “pine” style maples have branches going straight out of the trunk or downward out of the trunk. Whereas a more naturalistic styled maple would have branches emerging from the trunk at an upward angle.

I dread to day when Walter Pall starts styling deciduous like pines ???

Bananaman

Chumono
Reaction score
If it has one trunk with massive taper ending as an apex with radially arranged branches sticking perpendicular to the trunk, it is pine tree shaped no matter what canopy you put on it.

Maples almost alway fork near the base and are grouped in pairs or threes or more. Many times the trunk starts forking higher up the trunk but usually forks into a group of trunks up and out into a canopy

milehigh_7

Mister 500,000
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hot
With the proper skill level you can force your will upon a tree. This is the essence of Japanese bonsai. However, people that know what trees look like in nature will never be fooled and likely never be "moved" by the tree's beauty. I am many times moved by the skill the artist but that is a different matter to me. To me bonsai is the dance between the artist and the tree. The give and take with the rhythm of the years. rows of interchangeable green helmets or cone head maples will never do it for me. Nor will abstract junipers for that matter.

bonsaichile

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
With the proper skill level you can force your will upon a tree. This is the essence of Japanese bonsai. However, people that know what trees look like in nature will never be fooled and likely never be "moved" by the tree's beauty. I am many times moved by the skill the artist but that is a different matter to me. To me bonsai is the dance between the artist and the tree. The give and take with the rhythm of the years. rows of interchangeable green helmets or cone head maples will never do it for me. Nor will abstract junipers for that matter.
I see what you are saying. But traditional does not need to mean mass produced

milehigh_7

Mister 500,000
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hot
I see what you are saying. But traditional does not need to mean mass produced

I will leave that to others to argue... To me they have no soul. You are in Denver go drive through Rocky Mountain National Park before the snow gets going. Get out and look around near timberline. Your life will be forever changed.

jeanluc83

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
What is natural is a variable thing. If you searched hard enough I'm sure you would find a maple in nature that looks just like that first tree that was posted.

The way we style our trees is generally not the way the tree grows in nature. It is the one in a million tree that has been shaped by an extreme environment. Or it is the idealized form of the tree.

In my area deciduous trees grow as brooms or bean pole straight. Trees that are in the open can be of the "oak" style. Most conifers grow as big cones. Pines grow tall and straight or spreading and multi trunked if found in the open. Junipers are little bushes or in the case of ERC cones.

Except for the oldest trees or those that are growing in more harsh locations that what you get. In fact the trees that show the most contorted form are the ones that have been cut back repeatedly as landscape trees or near highways and powerlines. The form they have taken is not natural at all.

Top Bottom