Trident maple soil.

Elmnewbie

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4b
So I'm recieving an 8 year old trident maple today and im wondering what soil is best?? I'll post pics of the tree later, so I can get everyone's recommendation for chopping and styling.

AlainK

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
Contrary to Acer palmatum that prefer a slightly acidic soil, Acer buergerianum fares well in a mix that is rather calcareous - and I know what I'm talking about - so as long as it's relatively free-draining, you shouldn't have any problem keeping it healthy.

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
Trident maples are very hardy and very forgiving. I grow hundreds of these and have done for many. many years. They will be happy in almost any reasonable potting mix. No need to make a special mix for trident maples. Free draining is good.

Elmnewbie

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4b
Perfect. Thanks for the info everyone!! I'll be posting pics soon!

Elmnewbie

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4b
Its leafed out well, found out when I was repotting it that it is a 2 year old air layer. It still had all the moss and a large section of the dead wood left below where the new roots grew. Unfortunately I didnt have anything to cut it with so I sits a little high. But so far it looks good!! It was very late to leaf out way up here. But I'm pleased. 15901864597616775947533180584487.jpg

Top Bottom