Trident Maple Stump

gibmeister

Sapling
Reaction score
I have had this trident stump for a year now and want to start developing it next year. Any advice on this will be appreciated.

Attachments

• Trident1 Front.jpg
    Trident1 Front.jpg
    53.9 KB · Views: 273
  • Trident1 Front1.jpg
    Trident1 Front1.jpg
    50 KB · Views: 255
  • Trident1 RS.jpg
    Trident1 RS.jpg
    51.1 KB · Views: 250
  • Trident1 Back.jpg
    Trident1 Back.jpg
    50.2 KB · Views: 242
  • Trident1 LS.jpg
    Trident1 LS.jpg
    49.1 KB · Views: 204

Tachigi

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Nice material and should make a nice tree one day. However before you go any further my opinion is that you need to take a step back and fix a few things....at least fix what I perceive from the images. In picture 3 you seem to have the beginnings of some reverse taper, A bulge or swelling at mid trunk. In picture 4 it looks like the old prunes were collar prunes and would explain to some degree why mid-drift bulge is a bit obvious.

I would go back and re-address those prune cuts and remove the collars and see what you can do to give your tree a bit more sleekness. Also would eliminate some of the random branching closer to the apex, select strong healthy branches in strategic locations.

Keep at it....your headed in the right direction.

gibmeister

Sapling
Reaction score
Tom,

That is what I was looking for. If you look at the left side photo you will see a branch in the area to be smoothed out. If I remove this will something else pop out in this area or do I need to try and work around the branch I have?

Gib

Tachigi

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Tom,

That is what I was looking for. If you look at the left side photo you will see a branch in the area to be smoothed out. If I remove this will something else pop out in this area or do I need to try and work around the branch I have?

Gib

If I understand correctly what your asking....then yes. Normally with tridents (and for the most part all D trees) when pruned early on in the season buds will emerge around the cut.Which will promote faster healing of the scar. You then can chose which to keep, if you so desire, and eliminate the rest

gibmeister

Sapling
Reaction score
When would be the best time to cut back this area? I live in zone 5 and will be keeping this tree in my greenhouse this winter at around 34 degrees. What would be the best tool/tools to use for this procedure?

Thanks again.

Gib

Tachigi

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
When would be the best time to cut back this area? I live in zone 5 and will be keeping this tree in my greenhouse this winter at around 34 degrees. What would be the best tool/tools to use for this procedure?
Gib
Spring Gib and a Knob cutter would probably be the weapon of choice

Tom, what is your definition of a collar prune?
Pruning in front of the collar, or swell at the base of the branch.

gibmeister

Sapling
Reaction score
This is a picture I took of the area in the spring. Looking at this would you try to save the bottom branch or carve the hole area clean and wait for a new branch to pop?

Gib

Attachments

• Trident Left side.jpg
    Trident Left side.jpg
    65.1 KB · Views: 187

Tachigi

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Bonsai basics tells us to build a solid trunk first. This image shows a flush cut (not a concave cut) which is bad for a proper heal over. I wouldn't worry about the little branch. Its a year old two, at the most.

gibmeister

Sapling
Reaction score
I worked on this trident stump today. The first photo is what I am looking at for the front. The second would be the back.

Gib

Attachments

• Trident front.jpg
    Trident front.jpg
    118.9 KB · Views: 191
  • Trident back.jpg
    Trident back.jpg
    124.4 KB · Views: 179

JTGJr25

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Very nice good work. From the look of the pics I think I would choose to hollow out the new cut a little more. Right now it looks as if the wood is flush with the rest of the trunk and when the bark heals back over you will again have a slight bulge.

Tom

gibmeister

Sapling
Reaction score
Tom,

Thanks. I will work on it some more today. I need to let the blisters heal from yesterday a little.

Gib

camikins

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Heal Over Time

Question:
How long (if at all) will you let the tree rest after removing the trunk bulge?

Cam

Top Bottom