Trident maple trunk chop problems

Douglarime

Seed
Reaction score
Hello all,

I have a trident maple growing over a rock that I trunk chopped three seasons ago. No buds appeared after the first year. The second year I tried some grafting that did not take. This is the third season, and I’m at a bit of a loss. I know the tree is still alive because of the callouses growing at the wound sites and the greenish color of the roots. The nebari are getting developed and I would sure hate to give up on it now.
Help!

Attachments

• 2F6E6585-E3B2-4FFA-A2DE-33B9394280E9.jpeg
    2F6E6585-E3B2-4FFA-A2DE-33B9394280E9.jpeg
    158.5 KB · Views: 164

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
I admire you efforts here but that tree is dead. I did exactly the same thing to a trident ror 2 springs ago. The wounds callussed a bit from stored energy in the trunk but no buds popped. A trident can’t go a full year without foliage never mind three.

Douglarime

Seed
Reaction score
David,

Thanks for your reply. The thing that gives me hope the tree is still alive is that taking a small piece of bark off either the tree or root reveals a moist, bright green layer. I have killed a few in the past and they dried out and got brown in pretty short order.

Bananaman

Chumono
Reaction score
David,

Thanks for your reply. The thing that gives me hope the tree is still alive is that taking a small piece of bark off either the tree or root reveals a moist, bright green layer. I have killed a few in the past and they dried out and got brown in pretty short order.
At lunch will post later. Don't throw away yet!!!

revolution

Seedling
Reaction score
Read about sweating a tree. Green is typically not a bad sign.

Top Bottom