Trident Maple Wiring (1st time)

Jac3674

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I am sill new to this and it's my first wiring. I just wanted to know how long I should leave the wire on? The wire is covered in a black plastic like covering. So dunno if that'd make a difference? I know Trident Maple get wire marks easily if left too long. Just wondering how long to leave the wire till it's set? I did a slightly leaning style. Oh, I didn't know if I should put this in the beginners section or here.

MrWunderful

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
Until it starts swelling a bit around the wire. Usually late spring depending on vigor

0soyoung

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Wire 'marking' the bark is most commonly because it was left on while the stem thickened (during the growing season). It is often referred to as the wire 'biting in', but it is because the stem thickened.

At any rate, this won't happen during dormancy, simply because there is no thickening or lengthening growth. There can be processes still occurring that make the stem 'lignify'. Once it has, the wire can be removed. During the growing season this takes just a few weeks.

I judge whether the wire can be removed by gently unwiring the end of the stem and seeing if it holds position. If so, the wire can come off. If not, I gently rewind it back like it was. Rinse & repeat.

Over the winter, dirt may accumulate near the wire or the wire may react with something (possibly exuded from the bark) and leave a residue 'marking'. These should either scrub off with a toothbrush or will disappear as the bark ages (one can paint the bark to mark a tree, say, and after a year or two it wears away).

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
There is no real answer to your question. It all depends on the time of year, how well the tree grows, how severe the bends are and how thick/old the branches were.
I find that fresh, new growth on tridents in spring will set in just a couple of weeks but older wood can take 6 months or even more. If the tree has stopped growing the wood takes ages to set in place and you'll probably need to leave the wire until middle of next summer.
Generally we leave the wires in place as long as possible but the test that @osoyoung talked about is an alternative. Just check the wires weekly. If the wire looks flat closer to the branch/trunk, even just in few spots that means the bark has started to grow round it and it is time to get it off.
Even leaving it that long some species and some wood won't be properly set. In cases like that just put new wire on and wait again.

Top Bottom