Trident Maple Work

Reaction score
USDA Zone
Amur Flame Maple Work

I got this tree as an anniversery gift and once it went dorment i decided to chop it back.i will repot in spring its rootbound in this 3 gallon pot.the nursery i got it from the guy running it said he was thinking of trying something with it(fellow bonsai guy ):)

Attachments

• Trident 1.jpg
    Trident 1.jpg
    195.5 KB · Views: 191
  • Trident2.jpg
    Trident2.jpg
    196.6 KB · Views: 237
Last edited:

will0911

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8/9
You'll eventually need to cut it back further than that.but I like the base and it could have descent roots which would be a plus! Was it from a bonsai nursery or just a regular nursery?

Reaction score
USDA Zone
i got at regular nursery but had old material thats been there for years.The tree looks taller in picture.its only about 13 inches showing i left two long leaders to help with healing and to have more then one option when i cut in spring

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
This looks like nice material, could be a very natural looking tree.

Jason

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Watch out for development of reverse taper where those three leaders come off at the same place. Happy anniversary!

Reaction score
USDA Zone
yeah Jason i was thinking of that when i left them.Theres really olny two fo them i think ill just remove one of them in spring to be safe (sorry not a trident but amur maple

Last edited:
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Repotted in early spring in fairly deep pot and allowed to grow and i trimed only for shape lots of branches to chose from.Ill wire in early spring next year and remove whats not need but im starting to see what i wanted it to look like when i first bought it last year.

Attachments

• amur maple spring2012.jpg
    amur maple spring2012.jpg
    139.8 KB · Views: 115
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I cut it back and did some wiring

Attachments

• amur maple 2012.jpg
    amur maple 2012.jpg
    79 KB · Views: 72
  • amur maple 2012 2.jpg
    amur maple 2012 2.jpg
    110 KB · Views: 59
  • amur maple 2012 3.jpg
    amur maple 2012 3.jpg
    90.2 KB · Views: 52

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Looking good kid and sounds like you have a good plan for your tree. Just be careful with those two converging branches at the bottom. They may start giving you a reverse taper effect. If it was me I may consider cutting off completely the thinner branch and developing the other as a second trunk/ first branch type of thing.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
Thanks.I was thinking that to when i look at those branches and decided to take off soon

Top Bottom