Trident maple yamadori...chop

JesusFreak

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8B
So my grandmother is on her death bed and she has a camp house that has thousands of maples. I want to collect before she passes but most are around 10 feet tall and approximately 2-3 inches in trunk diameter. Can I chop and collect at the same time? Or do I need to separate. She lives in Dublin Ga which is central Ga. appreciate the help in advance.

j evans

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
I sorry to hear that. My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family.

If it is a circumstance where you only have this chance I would say go for it. I think the trees can handle it but maybe someone else will pipe in.

Take care.

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
Not sure I'd chop and collect right now... everything is pushing growth like mad. Ideally, you'd wait until mid summer, or even better, next winter.

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
Maples mange chop an root prune in one operation no problem but not when in full spring growth.
I've done lots in winter no problem.
Mid summer may be OK
Spring - only as an experiment. I have root pruned some young trident maples in full growth. They usually drop all leaves but then bud again a few weeks later. A larger maple might survive transplant now but few have even tried so not guaranteed.

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
collect right now
Good catch. Of course, in the right season. I keep forgetting that that is not self-explanatory to some.

That being said, if in a pinch (which the OP seems to be) I would still do the collect & cut now. Just leave more roots than you normally would and defoliate.

Top Bottom