trident maple

jjbacoomba

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Here is my first Trident Maple, given to me by one of my fellow members of The San Antonio Bonsai Society. He told me to do a complete defoiliation,and take off some of the top to start a new apex, and do some light wiring. What a learning experience so far. Cant wait to see the new growth and the color of the leaves in the fall. Thanks, Joe

Last edited:

jjbacoomba

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
oops for got the pics

Here we go. Before and after.

Attachments

• defoiliatetridentaug1509L.jpg
    defoiliatetridentaug1509L.jpg
    69.8 KB · Views: 146
  • tridentfront1aug1909.jpg
    tridentfront1aug1909.jpg
    73.1 KB · Views: 155

R_F

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hi Joe,

Not a bad start there! If it were mine though I'd get a nice little twin trunk out of it by air-layering right under that first branch on the right...and then turn that branch into the second trunk.

Ryan

pauldogx

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Nice tree!! Great job on the redesign--thats just where i would have made the new apex as well.

jamie11

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
Hi Joe,

Not a bad start there! If it were mine though I'd get a nice little twin trunk out of it by air-layering right under that first branch on the right...and then turn that branch into the second trunk.

Ryan

what about splitting the trunk at the first branch down to create that twin or mother and son??
splitting the trunk would add a nice little dead wood feature aswell.
just food for thought
:)

jjbacoomba

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Thanks for the replies yall. Dont think I will be splitting the trunk. I will keep ya posted.

jjbacoomba

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Here are some pics of the new growth 3 weeks after defoiliation.Very exciting time for me. My first time doing this. The pic labeled Sept309 is the front. Thanks , Joe

Attachments

• Sept309.jpg
    Sept309.jpg
    66.7 KB · Views: 58
  • trileaf1.jpg
    trileaf1.jpg
    64.9 KB · Views: 51
Top Bottom