Trident Maple

misfit11

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Repotted my Trident into a Sarah Raynor rectangle I bought from Bob Shimon last year. I love the pot but feel it may be a bit too shallow for the tree.
Otherwise, the tree is coming along well and continues to improve each year. I did another root graft on the left side last spring and feel the nebari is finally getting there (it only took 13 years! 🤣). The tree still needs a lot more ramification, imo. Also, there's a couple uppermost branches that are too thick to be in proportion. I may take it to my workshop with Adam Toth in a couple weeks and sees what he has to say about cutting them back. Furthermore, the lower branches could stand to be more thick. Oh well, as in everything bonsai, in good time...

Cory
20240213_134440.jpg

namnhi

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Repotted my Trident into a Sarah Raynor rectangle I bought from Bob Shimon last year. I love the pot but feel it may be a bit too shallow for the tree.
Otherwise, the tree is coming along well and continues to improve each year. I did another root graft on the left side last spring and feel the nebari is finally getting there (it only took 13 years! 🤣). The tree still needs a lot more ramification, imo. Also, there's a couple uppermost branches that are too thick to be in proportion. I may take it to my workshop with Adam Toth in a couple weeks and sees what he has to say about cutting them back. Furthermore, the lower branches could stand to be more thick. Oh well, as in everything bonsai, in good time...

Cory
View attachment 528597
It does look too shallow and small for such a big tree. I afraid with that little soil, the tree might suffer. That would be a dead sentence if it is in my climate. Good luck.

bonsaiwood

Mame
Reaction score
Thanks for bumping up your thread. Very cool to see your tree’s development and multi-year photo progressions. I’m pretty much where you were in 2011 with three TM’s in motion, however mine are fresh out of the ground and raw. 10-year projects at least!

Nybonsai12

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Great progression. Cant believe I’m seeing this thread just for the first time now. Tree looks good and you’ve made nice improvements.

misfit11

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
It does look too shallow and small for such a big tree. I afraid with that little soil, the tree might suffer. That would be a dead sentence if it is in my climate. Good luck.
Well, my climate here in the Bay Area is most definitely different to yours in Houston, but yes, it will require some protection during the heat of the summer. As much as I love this pot, I think it could stand to be another half inch deeper

misfit11

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Thanks for bumping up your thread. Very cool to see your tree’s development and multi-year photo progressions. I’m pretty much where you were in 2011 with three TM’s in motion, however mine are fresh out of the ground and raw. 10-year projects at least!
It does seem to be that if you've got a raw trunk, it's going to take at least 10 years to build the branch structure. Nobody said bonsai was instant gratification. Keep your eye on the prize and you'll get there. Just remember to enjoy the process along the way. 🙂

misfit11

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Great progression. Cant believe I’m seeing this thread just for the first time now. Tree looks good and you’ve made nice improvements.
Thanks! It's definitely far from perfect (I see flaws since taking the photo that I hadn't in person), but it's come a long way.

Top Bottom