Trident Maple

misfit11

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Trees always look better in person. Some definitely more than others. This Trident is most certainly one of those for me. It's becoming a very nice tree but it isn't very photogenic 😉. I have difficulty getting a nice picture of it due to the fact that the apex comes toward the front so much. In photos it looks as if it's got a pointy top (witches hat as @Smoke calls them). In reality it has a quite rounded top. I reviewed the great bonsai photography post by @grouper52 (I'd seen it long ago but obviously needed a refresher) that someone revived and realized that I was taking the pictures from too close making the apex appear pointy. I gave it another go and with some editing I got a more representative picture.
IMG_20200211_122017~2.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20200211_115306~2.jpg
    IMG_20200211_115306~2.jpg
    189 KB · Views: 47
  • IMG_20200211_115323~2.jpg
    IMG_20200211_115323~2.jpg
    182.2 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_20200211_115344~2.jpg
    IMG_20200211_115344~2.jpg
    191.7 KB · Views: 50

james

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Nice work with this tree. People have their own opinions on apex development, it’s quite subjective. With that said, your tree appears to have 2 apices, based on the picture you shared. I recognize one is likely behind the other. Might you consider choosing one, and reducing the other? It may allow for more taper and reinforce movement in the trunk. At present, my eye rises to the upper trunk, where they both arise, and stops, it doesn’t know which way to go. Just a thought?

misfit11

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
almost a decade since the first post for this thread. Nice progression, nice tree.
Thanks. I've kind of come to believe that it takes about a decade (sometimes less, sometimes more) to get tree to show quality. IDK, if this one is show quality yet but it's finally getting closer after working on it for nine years. "Patience, Daniel-san.".

misfit11

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Nice work with this tree. People have their own opinions on apex development, it’s quite subjective. With that said, your tree appears to have 2 apices, based on the picture you shared. I recognize one is likely behind the other. Might you consider choosing one, and reducing the other? It may allow for more taper and reinforce movement in the trunk. At present, my eye rises to the upper trunk, where they both arise, and stops, it doesn’t know which way to go. Just a thought?
I think you're right. It's interesting how much photos help identify flaws. I probably wouldn't have noticed this otherwise. Thanks for the insight! I may end up removing the branch at the red line. I need to look at the tree in person.

1120201341~3.jpg

MrWunderful

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
I think some of the upper main branches need to be cut back and brought into scale a bit more, but It looks great. It is really on its way.

This thread led me to going to lone pines (though not that saturday) and Buy a beefy project trident!

PS my name is Corey too, but spelled with an “e”

misfit11

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
I think some of the upper main branches need to be cut back and brought into scale a bit more, but It looks great. It is really on its way.

This thread led me to going to lone pines (though not that saturday) and Buy a beefy project trident!

PS my name is Corey too, but spelled with an “e”
I tend to agree. It's definitely not without it's flaws.

Glad you got up to Lone Pine. I haven't been there in a really long time. Might need to make the trip sometime before they close for the winter.

Nice to meet you Corey. I won't hold it against you that you spell your name the wrong way. 😁 I think we've chatted on here before. If you ever find yourself in Petaluma, give me a holler. We can have a socially distanced beer in the backyard and talk bonsai.

MrWunderful

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
I tend to agree. It's definitely not without it's flaws.

Glad you got up to Lone Pine. I haven't been there in a really long time. Might need to make the trip sometime before they close for the winter.

Nice to meet you Corey. I won't hold it against you that you spell your name the wrong way. 😁 I think we've chatted on here before. If you ever find yourself in Petaluma, give me a holler. We can have a socially distanced beer in the backyard and talk bonsai.
I do remember that now. Last Time I was in Petaluma was 15-20 years ago, we went fishing at D street.

Thanks for the offer!

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A

misfit11

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
I agree with the shape, but would look for something blue or cream in color. You could get away with a bag shape and cloud feet. The tree is coming along nicely, Cory.
Nice. Thanks for your input, Brian. I value your knowledge about all things bonsai and specifically in this situation, your experience and intuition for pot pairing.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I think you're right. It's interesting how much photos help identify flaws. I probably wouldn't have noticed this otherwise.
I just heard Michael Hagedorn and Jonas Du Puich talking about this in their podcast. They said their students were more able to see trees in a way they could analyze it once they started doing classes over video. Something about seeing it in 3D makes it harder for the brain to get past simply seeing the tree as a whole.

misfit11

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
I am starting a similar path now. In spring I bought a decent trident trunk. Any tips on what you would not do again for a next tree? Lessons learned?
Good question! Wow, what would I have done differently? Actually, I don't really regret anything that I did with the tree (grafting, branch selection, etc.). My only regrets are from years of more or less neglect. There were quite a few years (like 3 or 4) that I was not very focused on the hobby and I did little more than keep my trees alive. I wasted a lot of time and it's development was slowed significantly as a result. If I had been fertilizing, pruning, defoliating, grafting etc regularly, I think the tree would be a lot further along. Unfortunately, sometimes life gets in the way. I'm just grateful that I at least kept it alive and didn't sell it.

misfit11

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
I just heard Michael Hagedorn and Jonas Du Puich talking about this in their podcast. They said their students were more able to see trees in a way they could analyze it once they started doing classes over video. Something about seeing it in 3D makes it harder for the brain to get past simply seeing the tree as a whole.
That's great. I've really come to realize the benefits of photographing my trees and posting them on here. The 2D image really does make flaws easier to identify. Also, allowing the forum to point out these flaws is a tremendous help. We look at our own trees all the time and sometimes are unable to see these flaws. Sometimes it takes a fresh set of eyes (and ones that aren't biased) to point them out.

misfit11

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
I just received the pot that I purchased for this tree. I bought it from Wallace Woods Pottery on Etsy. I was a bit nervous about buying a pot by an unknown Potter on Etsy, TBH. I'd bought a pot a number of years ago from Sarah Raynor but she's obviously got the pedigree to be trusted. I am very happy with the quality of this pot. It has a nice understated blue glaze and the pot is good quality stoneware. I highly recommend this Potter to anyone. As good quality as any of the big name potters (Raynor, Lang, Lentz, etc) without the high end premium.
1128201605b.jpg1128201605c.jpg1128201605a.jpg

misfit11

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
So I wasn't able to get it into a small pot yet because of some large roots that still need to be addressed 😒. I applied tourniquets to a couple of them in the hopes that I get some roots sprouting closer to the trunk. I also approach grafted a couple roots per @MACH5 's awesome tutorial on one of his maples. I hope they take.
I am starting a similar path now. In spring I bought a decent trident trunk. Any tips on what you would not do again for a next tree? Lessons learned?
So @leatherback asked me what I would I have done differently or about any lessons learned within the last 10 years working on this tree. I wish I had focussed more on developing the nebari and doing root work early on. This is something that we hear from the more experienced members on the forum like Brian Van Fleet. It's so much easier to develop the nebari and the base of the tree early on rather than trying to correct problems down the road.0205211214a.jpg

0207211646_HDR.jpg

Attachments

• 0205211231.jpg
    0205211231.jpg
    223.9 KB · Views: 14
Top Bottom