trident maples and shade

crab apple

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Are trident maples full sun plants or do they need shade like Japanese maples, the only two Japanese maples I have began showing signs of sun damage earlier in the spring and have been moved under bigger shade trees where they just get a little sun and seem to be doing fine. My tridents are just sitting out on the bench, should I move the tridents under the broken shade with the other maples, The tridents are not displaying any signs of stress yet but I'm sure its gonna get hotter here in the panhandle of Florida.

AnutterBonsai

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
mine receive full sun from 3pm to sunset (like 8pm) and doing fine, all green leaves, i just make sure it is well hydrated. this weekend we got 101F and still healthy.

VAFisher

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I've tried it both ways - kept them on the shady side of my garden with my Japanese Maples and Azaleas and I've also kept them on the sunny side with the crapes and elms some years. They do fine in either location and I haven't noticed much difference in growth.

Colorado

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
This is my second year growing tridents and I have been very surprised how sun-tolerant they are - MUCH more so than Japanese maples.

I have to keep my Japanese maples in full shade here if the temp is over 70 degrees but I’ve got one of my tridents out on the bench next to my pines and junipers and it’s extremely vigorous!

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
There's no real definitive answer to this question because of all the variables involved so 'It depends'.
Trident is more sun tolerant than Japanese maples but less sun tolerant than pine. Be aware that any species can cope with a wide range of conditions so trident will grow in almost full shade (with longer internodes and larger leaves) or in full sun (provided you can keep enough water to stop dehydration and don't mind some leaf burn) or anything in between.

Also note that 'full sun' in one area is vastly different to 'full sun' in another location and 'watering' depends on many factors including pot size, soil type, how long since previous repot and how well the water penetrates the soil.

Probably worth starting out with some afternoon shade, especially as you learn to water effectively. When you have some trees that are expendable you could try more sun to see how they cope in your climate in your backyard.

Top Bottom