Trident Maples For Beginners

Txners74

Seed
Reaction score
I decided to go with a Trident Maple as my first tree. I originally planned on putting it directly in the ground but found myself limited with space so I decide to put it in a fairly sized milk crate. I do not plan on treating it as a bonsai yet.
What type of soil should I put it in?
Any general advice or suggestions?

19Mateo83

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
For grow out pretty much anything that drains fast and doesn’t stay waterlogged will work. The coarser the better. I’m currently growing out two tridents and they are in a 50/50 mix of DE and bagged cheap topsoil. The tridents are loving it and have put on over 3 feet of growth this year. I have them in 5 gallon pots.

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
Tridents are a great beginner species. They grow relatively fast and are very forgiving so it something doesn't look right just chop and start again.
Not fussy about soil type so you can use almost any soil mix then learn to manage watering to suit that mix.
Soil is less critical in larger, deeper grow pots. Drainage becomes more critical as the pots get smaller and shallower. Even a good quality commercial potting soil should be fine in a milk crate sized container.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Welcome to Crazy!

Sorce

dbonsaiw

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Welcome. Great choice for a first tree. Any pics? They're a tough species and make for really nice trees.

Top Bottom