Trident maples from seed

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
All those maple trees. Looks like a lot of work to me....

justBonsai

Omono
Reaction score
I know soil, water, and feeding expenses can add up quickly as the trees grow so I plan to keep the best seedlings for myself, maybe 4-5 and sell the rest after they are well established maybe by next fall.

Eric Group

Masterpiece
Reaction score
Good luck selling a Maple people aren't familiar with. Tridents should sell just fine... the others, not so much. I might take a couple though! Always like Maples... specially those I don't have already!

Hope you have lots of success germinating them.

justBonsai

Omono
Reaction score
Good luck selling a Maple people aren't familiar with. Tridents should sell just fine... the others, not so much. I might take a couple though! Always like Maples... specially those I don't have already!

Hope you have lots of success germinating them.
I think the foliage is very attractive and should be able to reduce and ramify well based off the parent tree. Gotta see em through the year first before I sell them.

Reaction score
Regarding seed scarification I read that tridents need a 24 hour soak in hot water. Does this mean you need to maintain the water temperature for the whole scarification period or do you just put the seeds in hot water, let it cool and leave it for 24 hours?
-------
If you do have to have warm temps for the water during the soak, you could start with hot water and use a yogurt maker to sustain at least warm temps.

AlainK

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
my syrian maple seeds have germinated. Nearly 100% success rate only of the seeds that weren't hollow. These trees are pretty cool. Leaf looks similar to trident maple but more rounded and thicker. It is an evergreen maple that I'm confident will grow better in heat compared to tridents

Great!

If only to keep them as "unusual garden trees", you're lucky to have some: I've read about the species but I don't think I can find any here (western Europe). It's true that maples are a species that can hybidize, but the species in the series "Monspesulana" are much fewer than in other serie and are usually pretty stable for what I've heard. See: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Acer_species
Section Acer
Series Acer (...)
Series Monspesulana

It's a pity we live so far apart, I would have gladly exchanged one of your Syrian maples with several of the species I have here

Please, keep us updated.

Last edited:
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
I have planted a number of trident maple seeds had a couple come up, only one made it though. Definitely not a hybrid. I will post a picture in the morning.

Top Bottom