Trident maples on a slab

Michael P

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Early New Year's resolution: photograph my trees and post them! This group of three trees was assembled in 2008 and grown in a large pot until the spring of 2020. The dark stuff on the branches is grafting tape, applied to prevent swelling of pruning scars. It helped a little.

brooks 02-08 026.jpg

In 2020 I moved them to a stone slab. The first attempt did not look good because I did not remove enough root mass from the bottom. The trees were sitting too high on a mound of soil and my keto did not hold up well. In 2021 I did more root work and improved my keto recipe. The is how the trees look this fall. They surprised me with fall color--our summer was brutal and I expected the leaves to be scorched and shed early.

IMG_8903.JPG

Adamski77

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8/9
Early New Year's resolution: photograph my trees and post them! This group of three trees was assembled in 2008 and grown in a large pot until the spring of 2020. The dark stuff on the branches is grafting tape, applied to prevent swelling of pruning scars. It helped a little.

View attachment 464284

In 2020 I moved them to a stone slab. The first attempt did not look good because I did not remove enough root mass from the bottom. The trees were sitting too high on a mound of soil and my keto did not hold up well. In 2021 I did more root work and improved my keto recipe. The is how the trees look this fall. They surprised me with fall color--our summer was brutal and I expected the leaves to be scorched and shed early.

slab makes it several times better looking... really like the change... still need some work but great idea with the plate...

Michael P

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
slab makes it several times better looking... really like the change... still need some work but great idea with the plate...
Thanks, I had always planned to move them to a slab. I don't understand your comment about the "plate". The trees definitely need work on ramification and fine branch structure. I'll update with a leafless photo soon.

Adamski77

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8/9
Thanks, I had always planned to move them to a slab. I don't understand your comment about the "plate". The trees definitely need work on ramification and fine branch structure. I'll update with a leafless photo soon.
apologize... didn't mean to sound offensive... what I meant is plate=slab...

Top Bottom