Trident Maples recently collected with 3+8 inch trunks potted up

Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Hey Everyone.
This is Jason From Schley's Bonsai and Supplies here in Deland Florida.
Just wanted to let you know we got our Large Trident maples dug out and potted on turned down 25 gallon pots. Here is a pic as an example of the trees. Im going to cut them hard to a line and cover the wounds to promote fast healing. They already have low branches and will be fantastic pigs or Large specimen trees. We are not yet posting them online as I may hold off shipping really large trees like this till further along. We sell by the inch of trunk 4 inches up from soil level. Tell me what you think please!
our website, although a little sparse at this time, is www.schleysbonsai.com

Attachments

• 20130113_144444.jpg
    20130113_144444.jpg
    204.9 KB · Views: 312
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Whenever I find a new bonsai channel on youtube, I watch every video. Even the ones in different languages. Where have you been?

HaHa,
Right here. I bought that 12 acres feb of 2011 and I have really run myself ragged getting the digs ready for the public. When its summer its all I can do to just keep everything trimmed. This is the start of the season and we have gotten a whole lot more stuff so Ill start doing more videos and updating the website again. Its tough when you are an army of one. Benches to be built, pole barns to put up, and bonsai to wire and unwire. Thanks for your concern :D
Jason

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Can I offer some suggestions/critique about your site?

The pics are very small. I think you should provide bigger and multiple pictures especially on your more expensive items. If you expect someone to buy a $5,000 or $12,000 specimen tree online...you better provide more than a single small pic. (about 2" x 2.5" on my monitor)

Also provide accurate info or not at all. I checked the trident maple and all 4 of the more expensive bonsai are tagged as 50 years old. Is that accurate and purely coincidental? I am not questioning just curious since price ranged from $2,500 - $12,000 and sizes varied widely too.

At any rate...good luck!

Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Can I offer some suggestions/critique about your site?

The pics are very small. I think you should provide bigger and multiple pictures especially on your more expensive items. If you expect someone to buy a $5,000 or $12,000 specimen tree online...you better provide more than a single small pic. (about 2" x 2.5" on my monitor)

Also provide accurate info or not at all. I checked the trident maple and all 4 of the more expensive bonsai are tagged as 50 years old. Is that accurate and purely coincidental? I am not questioning just curious since price ranged from $2,500 - $12,000 and sizes varied widely too.

At any rate...good luck!

Thanks for the critiques. I like all constructive comments for sure as I get very linear in my thinking and tend to forget simple things like those you stated, among others for sure.
I need to get a better site, as this site only lets me do one pic and then only 455 kb per tree. All of those trees were from the same grower and he had that batch in the same row and planted them at the same time. Also, some grew a lot bigger than others so sizes are a bit different( maybe because of watering discrepancies fertilizing differences, soil compositions, etc), so prices are dictated by what I consider quality, amount of work, and somewhat size. So I knew the ages. Also, someone who is going to spend that kind of money doesn't buy from online in my experience (Although that could be because I rarely had great pics). They usually come to the shop and buy after they spend an hour looking at it and others. I actually sold the 12000 tree so I need to pull it and a few others off the site, but I haven't had people beating the doors down to get trees over 500 dollars. That's a very select clientele . Thank you for checking out the site and if you have any other thoughts on it , Id love to hear it. Again, I'm an army of one on there and any thoughts from a different point of view can only help the quality of the product I'm sure.

Jason

Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Here are some cut back photos of the tridents i posted

These are the pics of the chops I did after potting. They are convex cut and the wounds will be covered and protected as per Kathy Shaners suggestions of cotton. More pics to come!

Attachments

• 20130116_150103.jpg
    20130116_150103.jpg
    204.5 KB · Views: 145
  • 20130116_150157.jpg
    20130116_150157.jpg
    203.8 KB · Views: 136
  • 20130116_171817.jpg
    20130116_171817.jpg
    207.4 KB · Views: 130

jkd2572

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Need video link so I can subscribe. I agree with poink88's comments about the pics. I for one buy all of my trees online. I dont really have access to good material where i live and its a huge population. One of the biggest cities in the united states. I have a hard time buying anything if I can't see good pics. Your really limiting your market if you are only trying to grab people in your area. Thanks for the post. Look forward to seeing the videos.

berobinson82

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
hmm... I'm impressed by your acceptance of critique, amused by your pronunciation of 'tanuki' and hopeful of your contribution to this site and bonsai community.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
I just rejoined ( on the advice of the missus). Yes, my pronunciations and spellings are a bit off. Need to work on that for sure. Also, Ill try to do what I can as far as contributing. Facebook time needs to be limited so I can update my site more often, which has been lacking. This is a good as area as any to look through while I am folding laundry, trying to learn, brushing up, seeing what the market is doing these days. Staying on bonsai point and not having memes on here to draw my focus is a god send these days. Plus, it's good to see what the bonsai world is doing and letting you know what we are doing as well. Bonsai is a small community, comparatively. And this site has already helped finding sources on a few seedlings and material I have looking for so yay me.

Ris

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
I say if the price is right then I might. lol.
Pictures, price and accurate discription is the only way for online sales,
I have bought trees online but had it not have good pictured images I wouldn't
buy any. Also be sure what states you're able to ship to is very important...

Best regards,
Rishi.

mcpesq817

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Very nice trunks. Were these in the ground for 50 years? I would question their age if that's the case as TMs grow very quickly. I have a TM that I put in the ground as a pencil thin seedling three years ago that has a good 4" trunk and close to an 8" base. I'm pretty sure that I would never be able to get it out of the ground if I left it in the ground for another 47 years (for reasons aside from probably being in the ground myself). :rolleyes:

BrianBay9

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I haven't done much here but lurk recently, but I would like to comment that I've done business with Jason in the past, both on line and in person. I've found him to be a nice guy and a reputable seller. He's always provided me with more than I expected at a price that's more than fair.

Nice to see you again Jason!

Brian

Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
I haven't done much here but lurk recently, but I would like to comment that I've done business with Jason in the past, both on line and in person. I've found him to be a nice guy and a reputable seller. He's always provided me with more than I expected at a price that's more than fair.

Brian
Hi Brian! Long time no speak. Those olives you gave me some years back are the backbone of our Black olive collection of around 500 at all sizes and still growing lol. I love those things!
As far as the 50 yo tridents on the website ( not these currently photographed as I have no idea how old these are but less than 10 id say). Those were collected 8? years ago from Cliff pottberg's nursery. At the time they were supposed to be 40+ years old. I had no reason to not believe him and the growth rings certainly were plentiful and tight. Paul Pickel has one of these tridents from the same source and the same age in his collection and in his videos he also states material is over 50 years old. (Orlando bonsai TV) So I'm sticking to age description I posted on website despite your critique. Although I appreciate your statement. I have tridents I have been growing myself over 10 years (5 in ground). In fact, many folks saw them years ago after they were put in 7 gallon squats and even now they are still under 4" inches thick. To reiterate, I am NOT stating the age of these tridents as I didn't grow them . Although you can come visit and count the rings if you like :)

Tim_T

Seedling
Reaction score

Brian

I agree. I visited Schleys back in December and really enjoyed the experience. Can't wait to make it back down there for another trip.
I was the guy that visited with my wife and a couple friends. I ended up buying your Naka books. I will be back. :)

Top Bottom