Trident Maples Still Haven't Woken Up

Adamantium

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Hi all! My two Trident Maples, here in NY, Zone 6A, have yet to wake up. This was my first winter with them, but they were both in foam coolers, and the scratch test shows green. Does anyone else have experience with this happening? The buds don't even seem to have swelled. Meanwhile, pretty much all the local trees have woken up over the past 3-4 weeks.

Any insights would be greatly appreciated!

Adamantium

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
See buds?
no buds = dead tree

Bark dark or normal color?
Oh, there are buds! They just haven't really swelled up as I would have imagined they would by this time. Bark looks pretty normal, as well. Do some trees just wake up super late? Could I perhaps be watering too much, given that it hasn't really woken up yet? It's in very free draining soil (DE and lava), but I water every single morning with an automatic waterer.

0soyoung

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Do some trees just wake up super late?
Yes, different times. In addition to chilling time, buds have a subsequent heat requirement to begin moving. It makes for more than a month's time difference between acer palmatum cultivars in my climate. Tridents are a species that thrives in warmer climes.
Could I perhaps be watering too much, given that it hasn't really woken up yet? It's in very free draining soil (DE and lava), but I water every single morning with an automatic waterer.
Probably not.

Trees in shady locations break bud later than those in sunny ones, because of solar heating. Maybe put it in a sunnier location temporarily (if it isn't already). As you know, a leafless tree doesn't use much water, so it could sit in this other place for 2 or three days without needing to be watered. Otherwise, it would seem to be just a matter of being patient.

abqjoe

Chumono
Reaction score
My Trident just started leafing out this week, 6 weeks later than my other Maples and this is the first time it's done it. I also have a Hackberry that isn't showing signs of waking up still. This last winter was colder and lasted longer than I can ever remember in my 43 years in Albuquerque and I have a feeling that has something to do with throwing the trees off....

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Could be the box was warmer longer than the "required cold"....

Even though I don't sign up to that BS.

It's just humans trying to act smarter than trees...
We ain't!

Sorce

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Hi all! My two Trident Maples, here in NY, Zone 6A, have yet to wake up. This was my first winter with them, but they were both in foam coolers, and the scratch test shows green. Does anyone else have experience with this happening? The buds don't even seem to have swelled. Meanwhile, pretty much all the local trees have woken up over the past 3-4 weeks.

Any insights would be greatly appreciated!

Yes, not unheard of. I went through this just last year with a ginkgo. Didn’t leaf out until last week of July!! Bill V himself had experienced this. I believe that for whatever reason sometimes this seems to happen. I am sure there is some science why this happens but as long as your branches remain green it’s an excellent sign. Have patience and don’t give up on it. Watch your watering as it doesn’t use much in its condition.

BTW the ginkgo is doing fine now and back on schedule.

Hartinez

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
This last winter was colder and lasted longer than I can ever remember in my 43 years in Albuquerque and I have a feeling that has something to do with throwing the trees

Indeed it was!! Brutal for a few smaller trees I had just started last year.

WNC Bonsai

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Boy and I have trouble because mine woke up too early and had to be moved in and out of the garage. Right now they are all growing like weeds. My big trident is now into a second flush out of growth.

Adamantium

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Yes, not unheard of. I went through this just last year with a ginkgo. Didn’t leaf out until last week of July!! Bill V himself had experienced this. I believe that for whatever reason sometimes this seems to happen. I am sure there is some science why this happens but as long as your branches remain green it’s an excellent sign. Have patience and don’t give up on it. Watch your watering as it doesn’t use much in its condition.

BTW the ginkgo is doing fine now and back on schedule.
Appreciate the insight! I'll pull it a little bit away from the autowaterer so it just gets splashed every morning, instead of soaked. Fingers crossed! ?

Top Bottom